New Custom Rifle

Good Evening All. This will be my 5th year in S.D. prairie dog hunting and trying out a new custom rifle. While this rifle is likely beyond my capabilities I've always wanted one custom rifle and I had this one built by the legendary Don Geraci. He lives just 45 minutes from my house. The gun is chambered in 300 Win Mag: Manners stock, Bartlein barrel, Defiance action, and Timney Calvin Elite trigger. I have someone building me custom rounds and appreciate any recommendations on powders and recommended loads. I'm looking at 1000-1500 yard range. I appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

Regards - Victor Culpepper

Attachments

• Geraci Accurate 300 WM.jpg
    Geraci Accurate 300 WM.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 275
Welcome to LRH and a quick search on Broz will get you all the 300 win mag info you want! Great rifle great cartridge!

Welcome to LRH and a quick search on Broz will get you all the 300 win mag info you want! Great rifle great cartridge!

Thank you for the info and welcome JJ!! Just signed up yesterday; however, I'm already impressed with the website and knowledge of the members. Please excuse my ignorance - you mentioned Broz which I'm not familiar with. Can you elaborate a little more please?

Lol Jeff Brozovich. He is the 300 WM guru. For powders I'd go with H1000, reloader 26, or Vihta Vuori N570. I'd also use Berger 215.
This is good info but you may grow weary serching for berger bullets
Just go to your local store and buy some Hornady 212's off the shelf

I have had so many full custom 300 wins and have loaded for all of them and I have always stuck with the 208 realm of bullet weight. For my needs good balance between BC, velocity and ease of load work. I have tried retumbo several times and have always come right back to H1000. 300 is one of the easiest calibers I have loaded for and depending on brass have always found a load between 75 gr and 77 gr. If you use thick brass like RWS it will be in the low 75 to mid 75 charges. Right now I am have a SAC 300 win proof rig and I am using nosler brass with 76.4 gr with 208 eldm, could not be happier with groups, along with low single digit SD/ES. If you need any help shoot me a message would be glad to help brother, welcome to LRH. Oh and I can tell you first hand the ol P dogs and yotes absolutely cant shake off a 208 at 3000FPS lol.

Great looking rifle! My go to load is 225gr eld-m with 78.5 gr of retumbo. Shooting 2860 out of a 26" remington 5r barrel.

I've had good luck with 215 Berger Hybrids/H1000/Fed215 Primers. I did HBN coat my Bergers and so far it's been really solid.

Thank you Remmy 700, Axl, jda2631 and Steve. Just seeing your messages cause I was busy Tues/Wed as shown on the attached pic. I have a friend experienced in loading but not an expert on long range loads. I'm using Norma brass, Federal 215M primers, and 225 gr Hornaday ELDs. He used 71.5 gr of Norma MRP on the first loads I tried and the precision at 100 yds was terrible.

Attachments

• 120 Specks-Topwater.JPG
    120 Specks-Topwater.JPG
    493.5 KB · Views: 151
Thank you Remmy 700, Axl, jda2631 and Steve. Just seeing your messages cause I was busy Tues/Wed as shown on the attached pic. I have a friend experienced in loading but not an expert on long range loads. I'm using Norma brass, Federal 215M primers, and 225 gr Hornaday ELDs. He used 71.5 gr of Norma MRP on the first loads I tried and the precision at 100 yds was terrible.
Looks like fun. I had good luck with 74.5g of H1000 in Nosler brass, 215 Bergers .030" jump. No pressure signs for me there. I then coated the bullets with HBN and worked my load up higher. I'm currently running the same setup but with 76g of H1000 at 2906 fps and no pressure signs. My accuracy and sd are good for my rifle here.

Lol Jeff Brozovich. He is the 300 WM guru. For powders I'd go with H1000, reloader 26, or Vihta Vuori N570. I'd also use Berger 215.
I've got to do some more work with RL 26 but it's growing on me fast. RL1000 was my go to powder for this and Rum Cases for over a decade but RL26 beats it up and down.

Hey wild rose what does your load and velocity for a 300 wm look like?
between 78.5-82gr with Peregrine 183 VLR3/4 or Hornady 200gr ELDX.

I can't wait to try the RL26 in the 375 Ruger as soon as I get some more bullets in.

It has been a dream in the .264, 7mm STW, and 300 Rum. What little I did with it in the 300wm two years ago gave me excellent results but I've only shot about a hundred rounds of it in the two WM's. Across the board I'm seeing 50-150fps better in all of them than I did with other powders and the ES is much better due to the improved stability compared to H1000

As soon as I can get some help with load info I'll be running it in the 6.5LRM I recently pried out of the hands of a fellow member who'd always run H1000 in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.