new custom cant get to shoot

I am not pointing fingers at any barrel manufacturer, but if it were me I would be ordering a new barrel. I beat my head against the wall on my last build with a story alot like yours. I ordered another barrel and had it installed and the rifle shoots extremely well now. It just shouldn't be this hard to find the load. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.... well, you know.

PS. Just FYI, the barrel I had that would not shoot was not a Lilja. But I really believe this. Most all manufacturers can make a good barrel, but any can make a bad one too.

Jeff

that is interesting. i have never heard of that problem. i have the leupold 2 piece bases. has anyone else had this problem??

eddy what increments are you seating them?

I am not pointing fingers at any barrel manufacturer, but if it were me I would be ordering a new barrel. I beat my head against the wall on my last build with a story alot like yours. I ordered another barrel and had it installed and the rifle shoots extremely well now. It just shouldn't be this hard to find the load. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.... well, you know.

PS. Just FYI, the barrel I had that would not shoot was not a Lilja. But I really believe this. Most all manufacturers can make a good barrel, but any can make a bad one too.

Jeff

unfortunately i am starting to beleive this. what a disappointment. i really hope this is not the case but as many rounds as i have sent down the tube, you woulda thought i would have stumbled on to something by now.... well i wont be able to afford a new barrel for awhile so i guess ill still keep tryin

unfortunately i am starting to beleive this. what a disappointment. i really hope this is not the case but as many rounds as i have sent down the tube, you woulda thought i would have stumbled on to something by now.... well i wont be able to afford a new barrel for awhile so i guess ill still keep tryin

If you had a load that shot a "ragged hole group" it doesn't seem to me that you would have a barrel problem?....Rich

Foster,
I had a Remington 700P that I could not get the 168gn Berger to shoot in. I tried numerous slow powders, several primers and seating depths from .020" off to jammed. Finally I gave up on that bullet. I tried the 150gn Ballistic Tip with IMR4350 and it started printing sub 1/2" groups at blistering speed (3200fps+). I figured I didn't really need to shoot the 168's that bad!
I killed several deer, groundhogs, crows, a nice black bear and a coyote with that load. My son currently has it and is amazed at the lightening quick kills he's seeing. JohnnyK.

that is interesting. i have never heard of that problem. i have the leupold 2 piece bases. has anyone else had this problem??

I usually do not have a problem with the bergers because I can usually jam them and have them shoot. When I cannot Jam them but know they shoot when jammed I start and mag length and start seating the .040 to .060 just trying to figure what happens to the groups. I can usually find a couple different seating depths where they will shoot just as well as being jammed. Good luck

i am full length sizing and bumping the shoulder back .002. i did have a great load with the bergers and rl 17 but the bullets were seated long and would not fit in the mag. so i could go back to that but it would be a single shot and i really dont want that. i am not fussy on bullet type just a good hunting bullet for large mulies.

well i havent talked to the smith since i shot those good groups with the bergers seated long. he was there when i shot them. just looking for the capability to shoot more than one shot

Bergers are case sensitive they shoot where they shoot and every rifle is diffrent. I have to single round load mine in my HOWA. If you dont want to do that and you want to shoot Bergers you should have built on a rifle that would accept an extended mag box.

Not being a dick but you have a good load go with it. I can reload very fast from the prone or seated using my rifle as a single shot faster than most using a mag system. The key is planning

1- single shot with bergers
2- install recommended MBE4 mag box
3- keep trying seating depths
3- rechamber with short throat
4- pick a different bullet

I would look into option 2.

Since you already have a load that shoots bug holes, you're virtually guaranteed success.

-- richard

It's not your barrel.
You found a load that shoots but it's too long for the mag box. Follow the instructions on Bergers web site regarding seating depth.
I have a friend that is a match shooter and his best load is .123 off the lands with a Berger bullet. Get the seating depth nailed down and then work on your load.
Don't switch around so much, pick a bullet and powder that are know to perform in your caliber and load up a ladder and find the sweet spot then figure out the seating depth. If it doesn't perform try a different primer and if that doesn't work try a different powder. Stick with one bullet.
Bergers can be pretty hard to get to shoot. I shoot 162 AMAX out of my 7wsm.
Only change one thing at a time.

Any knowledgeable smith will verify that this can cause a problem. It happens alot more than you might think. Many a barrels got blamed for poor shooting from improper scope mounting.

Do yourself a favor and at least buy a 1 peice base of good quality. NF, Badger, Seekins........Take off your 2 piece base and install the one piece using ONLY the front screws. If you have much of a gap (it doesnt take much to cause a problem) between the rear bottom of the base and the action this will cause stress on the action AND scope unless it is bedded.

If it is a 'perfect' fit, then reverse the proccess. Take the front screws out and install the rear and check for a gap on the front.

If both tests show no gap and there will probably be a gap since it is a 700 action (no dissrespect) then your scope mounting probably wasnt the problem.

If there is, bed the base to the action and start the reloading tests over.

If that doesnt fix it then I would be employing the help of a qualified smith to look at every aspect of the rifle.

thanks for all the help guys. i will get this another go around employing the things you have mentioned. i agree i should have probably built it on a long action and been done with it. that was my stubborn stupidity i guess but i will keep trying. how much of a difference does primers make. i have been shooting fed magnum match primers. but i here alot of guys are using large rifle primers. i have a bunch of cci bench rest primers. would i likely have better luck with them??

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.