New coyote rifle build?

Wouldn't it have to be a long action to feed the 6-284 with long bullets

I dont have one so I cant say for sure. Hornady says COAL for 105s is 2.885, AICS mags accept 2.880. I dont see why a smith couldnt shorten the lead up a touch, maybe extend the feed ramp a bit, but you would have to talk to a pro about that. Itd be an awesome flat/lr coyote round.

Ok for the time being I'm going to do 6mm creedmoor I can get locally a prefit barrel for $300. I'm thinking 6creedmoor and shoot 87-95g bullets. What powders and speeds would I get with a 24" barrel roughly?

I use a 240 WBY with 105g HPBTs at 3250fps. Makes pretty short work of them, even with marginal hits. Which would be something to consider at long range since they are so small, and always making a perfect shot on a 4" target past 600 yards in field/hunting conditions is pretty tough honestly.

Ok for the time being I'm going to do 6mm creedmoor I can get locally a prefit barrel for $300. I'm thinking 6creedmoor and shoot 87-95g bullets. What powders and speeds would I get with a 24" barrel roughly?

You should be able to get 3200 fps on an 87gr bullet from a 24" 6mm Creedmoor without any trouble. You may be able to get 3400 fps with 87gr bullets.

I'm getting 3100 fps with 115gr bergers and my 26"(+ 7" suppressor) 6mm Creedmoor. I'm getting about 3400 fps from 80 gr ballistic tips but they are loaded a couple gr below max because that is where they shoot best. In my 22" 6mm Creedmoor I'm getting about 200 fps less velocity.

There are many good powders to choose from for 6mm Creedmoor. Currently I'm using Superformance for my heavier bullets.

Z-sounds like you're on track, I'm a bit late to this party. But back in the day when I was a fiend for coyotes I had a similar discussion with a old govt trapper that I knew. He encouraged me to go Big 6, I did and I never regretted it.

Long and the short, I went 6/06 and it absolutely crushed yotes! Even on marginal hits that the dog would be whipering and bitching and moaning when hit with one of the .22's the dog would hit the turf darn quickly.

IMO, the seirous dog rifles begin with the Big 6's.

If, you decide you want to go for some pelts ( I did from the end of our big game season to the end of January) then I went to the 55 NBT. It blitzed along quite well, though it wasn't the best as ranges went long.

99% of our killing though was sub 500 yards. The longer shots were fun, farthest we went was 634 on a dog that just sat and barked at me:)

Our goal was to flatten 90% of the yotes we got into at 300 yards or less. We left the 10% for Mondays...:)

Best of luck to you!

(anything I can get to come to me via mouth call is the juice for me)

1605470035844.png

.264 Cal-99g Hammer Hunter

These could well do good for being fur friendly, naturally as long as you stayed off bone...

Just so everyone knows I just pulled the 22-243 barrel off my savage and put it on my bighorn action and I'm going to keep shooting that barrel till it won't shoot. Then I believe I'm just going to rebarrel it with a 1.8 twist Brux number 5 with fluting and chamber it in 22-243ai.

Yes it does take fire forming. No On the neck turning, I would imagine very close to the 22-6mm. Not a big deal though my cousin has one he owned the reamer for. The fireforming loads are very accurate. Will use lapua brass when I change to the 22-243ai. Brass will last like any if using quality brass, just depends on how hard you are pushing it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts