New coyote rifle build?

I had to make this decision few months ago, and was wanting something super flat for quick shots on coyotes without having to worry about a whole lot of drop to a reasonable range. My research led me to chamber my new 6mm bartlein barrel in 240 weatherby mag. (Yes I know, everyone's first response is gonna be barre burner) but an 87gr Berger VLD at 3800 is just an absolute laser! At 1.3" high at 100yards, it is dead zero at 325 yards (according to my ballistics table, I haven't verified yet) and for me, it's not a match gun, so after an honest 30 rounds or so for round development, it will only get shot maybe what, 30 rounds tops a year hunting. So even at only 600 rounds (which I'm sure it will last longer than that), that's Like 20 years lol just my opinion

I vote for anything that doesn't say Needmoor, You wont gain much by going 22-243 AI but you will get better brass life, For those long shots I would step up just for a better BC and build a 243, I know it sounds old fashioned but it's still one of the best no matter what anyone says
Same thing I was wondering!

I just traded a 223 upper for a 22-250 bolt action , for coyote calling . I'm a fan of standard calibers for calling and then build what ever you want to for shooting at the range till you get them figured out . Look at things like high BC's flat shooting and fur friendly bullets to figure out what it is you are looking for , for your self , no matter what it is I want them to do your needs aren't exactly the same as mine . I built a 6.5X284 that I ran 120 grain Nosler bullets in because I wanted to shoot coyote at longer ranges but I wouldn't recommend it for the average guy to call with . For most of my calling I use a 223 with 55 gr. Sierra HPBT hunting bullets with a 3x9 scope zeroed at 100 yards on it as most of my calling shots will be between 25 feet and 100 yards .

With long distance shots on the menu, im going with 6 creed over the 22 cal. Im running the 110 sierra at a mild 3015 fps. Im getting a g7 bc of .316 out to 1450 yards in my 7 twist. When you run the numbers its pretty impressive for a 6mm cartridge. 6mm is absolutely plenty for coyotes at long range.

Last edited:
I vote for anything that doesn't say Needmoor, You wont gain much by going 22-243 AI but you will get better brass life, For those long shots I would step up just for a better BC and build a 243, I know it sounds old fashioned but it's still one of the best no matter what anyone says
Anyone but Trump! Sorry couldn't resist😅

OOHH no not Hillary !!!!!!!! I had enough of the Clintons when Bill was there ! I remembered White Water as well as the uranium one deal .

My research led me to chamber my new 6mm bartlein barrel in 240 weatherby mag. (Yes I know, everyone's first response is gonna be barre burner) but an 87gr Berger VLD at 3800 is just an absolute laser!

I'm guessing you are interested in skinning them! A 87gr Berger at 3800 fps will likely leave some big holes, especially if you hit edges. I think you made a good choice for what you are looking for.

I think a 6mm is the best choice for long range coyotes. I have two 6mm Creedmoor and have tried several bullets in each of them. My original plan was to shoot 87 gr Hornady V-max or 55 gr Varmageddon but I couldn't get them to shoot well in my guns. I switched over to 80 gr Nosler ballistic tips and they have worked well for long range coyotes. I've also been shooting 115 gr Bergers and they also work great on long range coyotes. I'm thinking about switching to 115 gr Bergers for all my 6mm coyote hunting. They have left massive holes in the handful of coyotes I've shot with them. I haven't shot one at 600+ yards with a 115 gr Berger and on really long shots there will likely be issues with bullets not opening up.

Most of my coyote hunting is done with a 223. A 40 gr bullet from a 223 has never failed to have enough energy for ranges I shoot most called coyotes. I've shot over 100 coyotes with a 223 from 20 yards to 350 yards and most drop instantly. My 22-250 and 6mm Creedmoors do a better job of anchoring the coyotes on less than ideal shot placement but unless you are shooting long range, it doesn't take a big gun to kill a coyote. The 6mm 115gr bergers are really nice for longer shots, especially for judging wind drift. I'm not good enough to consistently judge wind with my 223's 40 gr bullet beyond 200 yards for a coyote on a windy day. Beyond 300 yards in even moderate winds my 223's become less than consistent in my hands.

I'm guessing you are interested in skinning them! A 87gr Berger at 3800 fps will likely leave some big holes, especially if you hit edges. I think you made a good choice for what you are looking for.

Hahah I haven't gotten to test them yet, but I'm very excited for it!All my previous hunting has been done with my factory Remington varmint in 220 swift. Thankfully It runs the factor hornady 55gr Vmax loads at around .5 MOA and I think the box says 3650fps?? So that's all it gets fed. It has always done a great job and I really have no reason to use anything different as it has almost always dropped them in their tracks. I just get bored and want to try something exciting lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.