New Cooper 6.5x284

Running a 6.5-06 which is very close to the 6.5-284. I get an easy 2870 fps out of a 24 inch barrel using RL22. Also heard H1000 works well. That 140 berger has been awesome on whitetails, antelope and mountain goats. Keep us posted as your rifle is very interesting to me.

That is one sweet rifle...next one I will be building is on a Remington Reciever with a 26" tube.
All things said that's my Rifle there, just be good to her.

That is one sweet rifle...next one I will be building is on a Remington Reciever with a 26" tube.
All things said that's my Rifle there, just be good to her.

Ya KC I am really liking this caliber. I have been involved in the 30 caliber rifles for a long time. I forgot how enjoyable it can be just to go out and shoot at paper when there is nothing else open. Reloading this stuff makes it great. I a reloading for about 16-18 bucks a box of 20. Thats allot better that $3 a round. Good luck on your build.

Really glad to hear you got that velocity up there NV. It's possible you might pick up some velocity with the Bergers when you try them with your optimized load. I get 25-40 FPS higher over the SMK's. Also, i have seen differences with ES and accuracy with primer choice. I used to use 215's but recently switched to Fed 210Match with Retumbo. I love the caliber. I also shot the 30's before I won a 6.5-284 at a shoot years back. I worked up some loads and started playing with it, easily hitting baseball sized rocks way out there. I'm primarily a deer/coyote/antelope hunter. The following season I crumpled a whitetail at 998 yards and I was hooked!

Last edited:
Really glad to hear you got that velocity up there NV. It's possible you might pick up some velocity with the Bergers when you try them with your optimized load. I get 25-40 FPS higher over the SMK's. Also, i have seen differences with ES and accuracy with primer choice. I used to use 215's but recently switched to Fed 210Match with Retumbo. I love the caliber. I also shot the 30's before I won a 6.5-284 at a shoot years back. I worked up some loads and started playing with it, easily hitting baseball sized rocks way out there. I'm primarily a deer/coyote/antelope hunter. The following season I crumpled a whitetail at 998 yards and I was hooked!

Hey Greyfox
I will look for that extra little bump in velocity . You and I have quite a bit in common. I too hunt Deer, Antelope(NV, Wyoming),Elk and coyotes. Looking for a god pig hunt close to home like California. Going to slip out today and call a few dogs. Thanks for all the great input.

iam running 140 gr berger vld with rl22 in my rem action with 26" krieger at 2980 and it shoots really nice

I am shooting the same cooper m52. My best (most accurate) load has been 51.5g of H4831sc with a 140g Berger vld hunting. Seated .020 off the lands. only getting 2750fps but groups are .25 moa out to 400 and .50 moa
out to 1k. I would like to see some more speed without losing accuracy. Barrell is 24"... I had heard the re22 is more temp sensitive than the H4831sc?. Also I would like to keep shooting the berger.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts