New co regs

If you would have rather paid an entry fee and then also had to buy a license once you won then color me confused.

I don't see how it's fair that a non resident who doesn't pay into that states taxes and state wildlife fund would pay the same as a resident license. That state should be catering to its own residents.

No doubt non residents should pay more, but it shouldn't be to the point that the common man gets priced out of the game and that is exactly what's happening in all western states. It's our own kind that's doing it to

Agreed, pricing citizens out of experiencing our our country and wildlife is anti-American

I called today after work and the guy I spoke with said the same thing that cohunt said above , they basically screwed themselves out of money last year with the changes. It would of been easier for me and my buddies to swallow if we could purchase our second season license at the same time we apply for our preference points to save the extra $80.00. He did say that they are supposedly taking notes and studying the feedback from hunters to see what tweaks they may make to the process next year. Lets hope that they do listen because I look forward to my annual hunting trip every year out to Colorado..........................JR

I feel a 10% increase over 13 years is reasonable

The sudden $50 fee for moose, sheep or goat, even for a non successful draw, is completely unreasonable, especially for the reason of "keeping the draw numbers reasonable."
For those saying that non hunters pay their share, that is completely untrue in CO. There are literally thousands of rock climbers in Boulder alone and unless they give freely, which they can, they give nothing and yet, have the highest rates of rescue recovery needed in the county.
This whole thing is just symptomatic of, arguably, the worst milking of the middle class I've seen in my life.

I may very well just not apply for goat, sheep, and moose this year and let my points sit in hopes that numbers are low enough they lower the fees. I don't mind paying my share towards the CPW mission here, but I'm paying it every year and an extra $150 for 3 points is just too much. They could at least throw in an annual parks pass ($70) or something so you're getting some return on your investment now. Between OHV tags, preference points, small game license for pheasants, and our annual state parks pass they're getting their fair share from us ($400 or so a year between the girlfriend and myself). I believe in the mission and don't mind contributing but at a certain point enough is enough. 20 years at $50/year (or $100 out of state) plus the tag and you're looking at a nice chunk of change for a sheep tag whether you're in-state or not.

The sudden $50 fee for moose, sheep or goat, even for a non successful draw, is completely unreasonable, especially for the reason of "keeping the draw numbers reasonable."
For those saying that non hunters pay their share, that is completely untrue in CO. There are literally thousands of rock climbers in Boulder alone and unless they give freely, which they can, they give nothing and yet, have the highest rates of rescue recovery needed in the county.
This whole thing is just symptomatic of, arguably, the worst milking of the middle class I've seen in my life.

How do you know they don't pay, do you really think $.025 pays for everything?

Please read this

http://www.garfieldcountysar.com/education/sar-fund/

Colorado sent me a hunter survey the year they merged with Parks. I thoroughly filled out the comments section, and attached another sheet to continue. It wasn't well accepted, because they sent a response several weeks later that claimed they "lost" my survey. More likely some pothead liberal intern and her boss got a good laugh out of it, cuz they won the war. I will never go back!

Just got a chance to read the regs. They closed all late season cow tags in the San Luis Valley. They extended private land damage tags till Feb. A lot of the ranchers sell those tags to outfitters cutting out the locals on the season that fills the freezer. Guess I'll have to find a rancher that will trade some work for a tag, easier said than done. Another example of making hunting a rich persons activity.

I hear ya. They're trying to make the whole state like Boulder ! and my definition of Boulder is ten square miles sorrounded by reality. Don't like the 50.00 fee, hope it doesn't last long.

How do you know they don't pay, do you really think $.025 pays for everything?

Please read this

http://www.garfieldcountysar.com/education/sar-fund/

This link explains well how this fund is used and how it works.

As far as other groups using up all the money hunters and anglers put in I can say as a CO SAR member the use of this fund is not used on all missions. Mainly when gear is broken or there is more travel with more fuel used then teams can be reimbursed for some costs. Each county SAR team is made up of volunteers who invest a lot of money in their own gear to be used on rescues. In this area I don't feel there is really any big problem with who pays and who benefits from this fund being in place. I do think that mtn bikes should also have to pay the same permit just as atv's etc. To me any wheeled vehicle being used on these trails or land should have to pay in. Like others have said, how to get everyone to pay in evenly is an almost impossible situation to work out.

I'm not overly happy with increased costs wether resident or not the costs will go up no matter what. It then comes down to where the line is that the increases start to harm their bottom line and prices will stabilize or come back down. As with anything they will use their leverage to get as much income as possible, but in a state like CO with so many tags both res and non-res they know the agencies survival depends on quantity over quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.