New co regs

JRY46

Just received the new CO big Game regulations in the mail the other day. Now it appears that before you can apply for the draw or preference points you must first purchase a small game license. Anyone else pick up on this or did I read it wrong.....................JR

You must also purchase preference for moose, sheep, and mountain goats instead of getting one just for applying. $50 for residents and $100 for non residents. Also the license costs will now increase every year following the consumer price index.

states (NM at least)aren't allowed by law to collect interest on the money they are holding. Wish they could it's better than jacking up the license fees like they are trying to do here.

Seems to be the new trend to have to buy a non refundable hunting license before you can draw. NM recently went to that too.

Everywhere is trending towards a rich mans game. It's going to cut all of our throats in the long haul.

I'm more bothered by the $50 residents fee for moose/sheep/goat. Last year was cheaper than the year before because they didn't hold your money, should have known it was too good to be true. Going to be back to $200+ for full points draw per year now.

Last year with the $3 dollar cost to apply for each caused a surge in applicants that would have made applying nearly a waste of time. At least with the $50 fee for residents you are going to weed out some of the people who may not be serious about applying year in and year out.

Fair enough, but I'd prefer something in between $3 and $50 a year when you expect to be putting in for over a decade. Interesting to see them shift from incentives to buy a license (waived fees if you held fishing/small game the year prior) to requiring it. I always assumed it had something to do with federal money and some kind of metric based around the number of licenses issued or something of that nature.

Just so happened to finish reading through the Big Game and Sheep brochures myself. Since I'm a Coloradan, I knew about it & what was coming and all good with it.

You must also purchase preference for moose, sheep, and mountain goats instead of getting one just for applying. $50 for residents and $100 for non residents. Also the license costs will now increase every year following the consumer price index.

Just another example of the senseless Cali and east coast cost levels that have been brought to CO. Natives hate the changes we've seen. Worse yet, some of the funds paid for by hunters and fisherpeople, are usually used in rescues or recoveries of mountain/rock climbers, bikers, backcountry skiers, snowmobilers, etc. who don't pay a dime into this fund.

Just another example of the senseless Cali and east coast cost levels that have been brought to CO. Natives hate the changes we've seen. Worse yet, some of the funds paid for by hunters and fisherpeople, are usually used in rescues or recoveries of mountain/rock climbers, bikers, backcountry skiers, snowmobilers, etc. who don't pay a dime into this fund.

Yup if I leave Colorado I most likely will not be back as a non resident. I will go elsewhere. It's crowded in CO anyways. I also strongly disagree with the use of wildlife money being used to fund the state parks that I don't use because you have to pay to get into.

Yup if I leave Colorado I most likely will not be back as a non resident. I will go elsewhere. It's crowded in CO anyways. I also strongly disagree with the use of wildlife money being used to fund the state parks that I don't use because you have to pay to get into.
Yeah that $70 yearly Park Pass stings, but I get my $70 worth! It's like the Hunter & Fisherman are footing the bill for everyone else around here, but it is changing.

Yeah that $70 yearly Park Pass stings, but I get my $70 worth! It's like the Hunter & Fisherman are footing the bill for everyone else around here, but it is changing.

Basically. I know that's part of the North American model of conservation but at some point hunting and fishing license costs will become too high if we need to continue to pay to benefit everyone else. Maybe there should be a wildlife photography license too or other things. People make the argument that photography doesn't "take" things from wildlife but I disagree. Hikers, bikers, photographers, etc all disrupt wildlife and we all see pictures of wildlife for sale meaning people are profiting off of wildlife paid for by hunters and fishermen.

Just my .02.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts