New cartridge ?

Surely someone knows something more about this purposed cartridge.

I am curious about the bullet diameter (Between 6.5 and 277) and the
type of bullet. Pressure is easy they just have to build the weapon to take it.

I also don't understand why they would invent a totally new bore diameter instead of just designing a bullet for the intended service.

It may fall on it's face, but it is interesting.

J E CUSTOM

Yeah I wound's hold my breath for it.

Not interested in getting one, and don't know if it will ever happen. Just always interested in new innovations. The military is always doing something different and illogical. Being a vet, I have seen some of these blunders and just hoped someone would have an insight to what and when this wood be.

J E CUSTOM

I read somewhere that they thought it was a 6.8mm round. Then I also heard it's a 6.5mm round from a different source so who knows. I'd like to know more on this round as well

From my understanding the caliber will be either 6.5 or 6.8-- when the youtube video says "between 6.5 and 6.8" I I took it a a choice of one of those calibers not a caliber in between those two.
From my sources, this firearm will never be available to civilians, to get to those pressures it will not use conventional brass cases (it may very well be "CT or CL ammo")--- also i was told they will not use conventional smokeless powder as a propellant but some thing more along the lines of a solid explosive agent. Most likely have several variants of projectiles to include AP, incendiary, and explosive tipped.
This info comes from an friend in the firearms and ammunition industry not the military--- but it's all in design/testing and nothing is set yet, it may never become "reality" depending on how things go. Tround 50 had different prototypes years ago.

I cant divulge his name so take it all with a grain of salt knowing this is the internet- feel free to not believe me if you like, I personally have no knowledge of any of this other than what I have heard from him so it could all be "a bunch of hooey"

Last edited:
What ever happened to them adopting the 6.8spc? It's been a few years but I think that's how it came to be and the gulf flaired up again and they just stuck with what they already had.

From my understanding the caliber will be either 6.5 or 6.8-- when the youtube video says "between 6.5 and 6.8" I I took it a a choice of one of those calibers not a caliber in between those two.
From my sources, this firearm will never be available to civilians, to get to those pressures it will not use conventional brass cases (it may very well be "caseless")--- also i was told they will not use conventional smokeless powder as a propellant but some thing more along the lines of a solid explosive agent. Most likely have several variants of projectiles to include AP, incendiary, and explosive tipped.
This info comes from an "insider" in the firearms and ammunition industry not the military--- but it's all in design/testing and nothing is set yet, it may never become "reality" depending on how things go.

I cant divulge his name so take it all with a grain of salt knowing this is the internet, I personally have no knowledge of any of this other than what I have heard from him.

Thanks
That makes more sense to be ether a 6.5 or a 6.8.

J E CUSTOM

I still question why the military has not replaced the 556 with the 6.8 SPC. It does away with all the short comings of the 556 except the round caring ability.

I have hunted with both and there is a great deal of difference in performance on game in the same weapon format. (AR 15). The 6.8 can even use the same magazines but capacity will be less. (About 1/2 as many 6.8's)

Here is a video of a 6.8 test that Is interesting.

J E CUSTOM

The 6.8SPC concept came from Steve Holland of 5th Special Forces Group. He worked with the Army Marksmanship Unit to come up with the concept to replace 5.56. If I recall correctly, this was after or during conceptualizing the SPR-V weapon system that was designed to keep the M4 ergonomics but maximize the platform for shooting 7.62x39 with AK47 mags. If I recall correctly again, 6.8SPC didn't get traction back then because of the logistical tail associated to NATO countries that would still be using 5.56.

The 6.8SPC concept came from Steve Holland of 5th Special Forces Group. He worked with the Army Marksmanship Unit to come up with the concept to replace 5.56. If I recall correctly, this was after or during conceptualizing the SPR-V weapon system that was designed to keep the M4 ergonomics but maximize the platform for shooting 7.62x39 with AK47 mags. If I recall correctly again, 6.8SPC didn't get traction back then because of the logistical tail associated to NATO countries that would still be using 5.56.

I have always thought that we could/should have better weapon's than the rest of the world (Just Me) even our NATO allies. They could always step up to a bigger round if they wanted to.

A prime example of the best equipment was when the Brits took the Falklands, they had Semiautomatic FN's In 308 and the Argentinians had Full automatic FNs in 308 and until the Brits captured some the full autos, it was touch and go. The Brits training was better so they were able to offset their disadvantage.

The 6.8 is also noticeably better than the 7.62 x 39 (AK) that most of the worlds enemies use.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

An M1A1 tank main gun doesn't operate too awfully much higher in pressure than normal rifles. That's limited by the yield strength of the case and you don't want to have to make a case that's as strong as a barrel. Looks like the 120mm runs around 73kpsi. I doubt anyone would run a machine gun that hot as extraction reliability would likely suffer greatly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.