New Cartridge for Hunting?

LOL, I knew that was coming. :D

OK, 338 RUM rabbit hole here we come..... I have the chance to get a Curtis action on a discount. What bottom metal? Box mag preferably.
I had the same itch, I went with a 338 Lapua. My 300 Win, 300 Weatherby and 7 RUM wasn't enough, oh did I mention my 50 BMG! The 338 Lapua has much more range than my 300's, and it weighs about the same.

I really like the 7mm RUM. It is a misunderstood cartridge though. Some overbore cartridges come with 28 in barrels, but not the 7mm RUM. All of the factory 7mm RUM guns with only a 26 in barrel. My next build will be to put a new barrel on my Remington 700, with a 30 in barrel to get all of that powder burned before the bullet leaves the barrel.

Ight, all bets are off. (kinda knew they would say no) :rolleyes: My can will not work with the 300NM, so 338 is back up for consideration. Actually I was wanting to lean towards the 338 anyways.

So, school me on the 338's. Norma's vs Lapua's

Guess I'll have to buy a can also..... :)

The 338 edge is an easy build. Neck up 300 rum brass and use a magnum BF. Add a wyatt's box extender and you have a repeater. There isn't an animal on the planet I wouldn't hunt. You'll know the difference when it hits the gong.

Last edited:
Dang at all the choices in 338!

338 Norma
338 Norma Imp
338 Lapua
338 Lapua Imp
338 Lapua Ack Imp
338 Edge

Dayuum!!!

From my research, 338 Norma Imp is in the lead. I'm thinking easier to mag feed.?

How about going the other way......
338 whisper...shoot the heaviest of bullets...with your can...
The one i have shot sounded like a 20 gauge shotgun and no can....and no kick at all....and scopes can be calibrated.....
Those big ol bullets once started will go thru anything.....
Tough part is getting a bullet that will expand at the slower speeds....

Ehhh, already have a suppressed 300BO that itch has already been scratched. Lol

Serious leaning towards 300 Norma Imp.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.