New Cartridge for Hunting?

Ok, here's the scoop. I have a 300WM that I've just re-barreled re-stocked into my long range hunting rig. It's approx. 9 lbs with optics and with hand loads will shoot 1/2MOA with the Berger 210VLD's @ 2800fps. Don't ask me why, but I have the itch for a new build.

Questions:

1. Will I gain that much from a newer "latest and greatest" cartridge. (Edit: Decided on a new tinker toy, so just looking to better what I have)
2. If so, what cartridge would you go with?
Like so many here are saying...I added a .338 lapua to fill the gap between the 300 Weatherby and 460 Weatherby's I have..I bought the Weatherby Tac Mark. I have well over 2 dozen below .300 variations, but even now I am beginning to question myself as to why...some people collect Art...aren't guns ART?

Ok, here's the scoop. I have a 300WM that I've just re-barreled re-stocked into my long range hunting rig. It's approx. 9 lbs with optics and with hand loads will shoot 1/2MOA with the Berger 210VLD's @ 2800fps. Don't ask me why, but I have the itch for a new build.

Questions:

1. Will I gain that much from a newer "latest and greatest" cartridge. (Edit: Decided on a new tinker toy, so just looking to better what I have)
6.5 PRC

I'm not familiar with suppresors, but will his work with a 7mm cartridge?

If so the 7 SAWM is a great option.

Aye Sir! It will work with clearance less than his (i.e., .300 WM and less) but like the muzzle brakes, effectiveness varies, and of course same muzzle threading.

Eliteiron Bravo SD on my full custom .30 LARA ...
.30 LARA.jpg

Eliteiron Bravo SD on my 6.5 CM TCA Compass ...
6.5 CM  TC Compass.jpg

... I can also screw it on directly on 2 of my 3 .300 WMs, .300 WSM,.270 AI, and .264 WM.

Aye Sir! It will work with clearance less than his (i.e., .300 WM and less) but like the muzzle brakes, effectiveness varies, and of course same muzzle threading.

Eliteiron Bravo SD on my full custom .30 LARA ...
View attachment 147732
Eliteiron Bravo SD on my 6.5 CM TCA Compass ...
View attachment 147734

... I can also screw it on directly on 2 of my 3 .300 WMs, .300 WSM,.270 AI, and .264 WM.

Thanks Sir, and that is one sweet looking gun.

Questions:

===================
I know that itch. We are all afflicted by it. The best cure I know is time. But if you must scratch, check your action's length. Run a 300 Weatherby reamer into it and you can start the whole dog & pony show over again. Dies, a couple of hundred brass, loads & data. By the time you're done with it all, you'll have a rifle that kicks harder, bellows louder, might be just as accurate and kills them just as dead as your grandpa's 30-30.

I have a Remington in the safe that has had the same treatment if you are interested ...

Questions:

I have a 330 Dakota it will push a 200 grain Nosler bt just over 3100ft it is on m70 pre war with Lilja 26 inch 3 grove Just love it It will reach out and touch something.

Looks like your a handloader to, dont rule out a 30-28 Nosler it will push a 215 at 3100 will work fine on a 700.as long as it's a Rum action.

Rest assured guys, I've mastered what I have and I'm an accomplished long range shooter. I just like tinkering with projects.

Not cause I need to, just cause.... :)

Already have a 6.5CM for plinking. This will be another long range hunter.

I'll check with silencerco tomorrow and see what they have to say about the Omega and the 300NM. If it won't work, then all bets are off and the 338's are back on the block.

Looking into the 300NMI also.
Have you looked at a 7.82 Warbird? Love mine a lot

Questions:

There is another option:
Build a clone of what you already have, but in a different 30 cal offering that you can shoot more of, if you want more trigger time, or one that you can reach out there even further.
I chose another 7mm in 280AI, that I have kept the same scope, reticle, trigger and eventually the same stock. At least this way I can get more rounds without sacrificing a barrel on my 7mmRM staying in practice between hunting seasons with a rifle that mimmicks the other in feel, scope adjustments, reticle style and accuracy.
It also makes a great rifle for my younger hunters. Packable and potent intermediate range that is simple to load and factory ammo readily available if needed. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.