New Cartridge for Hunting?

Mark L

Ok, here's the scoop. I have a 300WM that I've just re-barreled re-stocked into my long range hunting rig. It's approx. 9 lbs with optics and with hand loads will shoot 1/2MOA with the Berger 210VLD's @ 2800fps. Don't ask me why, but I have the itch for a new build.

Questions:

1. Will I gain that much from a newer "latest and greatest" cartridge. (Edit: Decided on a new tinker toy, so just looking to better what I have)
2. If so, what cartridge would you go with?

Last edited:
If you were looking for the next build Mark,,, what would you like to improve on,,, there ain't a thing in the Americas that you can't harvest with the unit you have,,, why not build a twin to what you have... Ha...

Of course it's fun to add to our collections...

I had a simple build done on a hunting rifle this spring,,, that way my other 2 tack drivers can rest easy for 4 months...

Old School mid size cartridges is my camp,,, easy to access brass,,,, Frugal bullets and powder,,, with out my shoulder getting hammered...

Just enough for hunting and plenty for nailing gongs...

My next investment is 1 more barrel on hand along with 2 jugs of powder and supplies to help burn them up...

Just me i guess

Ok, here's the scoop. I have a 300WM that I've just re-barreled re-stocked into my long range hunting rig. It's approx. 9 lbs with optics and with hand loads will shoot 1/2MOA with the Berger 210VLD's @ 2800fps. Don't ask me why, but I have the itch for a new build.

Questions:

1. Will I gain that much from a newer "latest and greatest" cartridge.
2. If so, what cartridge would you go with?

The .300 WM remains my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. So got you that covered. IIWY, I'd go up to .338 caliber (not .338 WM) , i.e. .338 RUM and up for beyond the 1K range.

LOL, I knew that was coming. :D

OK, 338 RUM rabbit hole here we come..... I have the chance to get a Curtis action on a discount. What bottom metal? Box mag preferably.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.