New Cartridge 6.8 Western

the problem with the 270 WSM is seating long nose heavy for caliber is it puts the ogive at or just below the case mouth to stay in a short action with the factory mag box. the 6.8 western solves this problem without hurting performance. we look it things differently than the average shooters. we will have our actions modified to solve these problems but the average shooter just wants to go shoot and reload once in a while

the problem with the 270 WSM is seating long nose heavy for caliber is it puts the ogive at or just below the case mouth to stay in a short action with the factory mag box. the 6.8 western solves this problem without hurting performance. we look it things differently than the average shooters. we will have our actions modified to solve these problems but the average shooter just wants to go shoot and reload once in a while
But if anybody was serious about using the 270WSM they might build it on a long action and throat it accordingly. Otherwise just build a 6.8PRC. That will be the first critique of loaders of the Western..."It's ok, but to take full advantage of the 170 Berger they should have put this in a long action."
They should have taken the belt off the 264, blown it out, and made the 270 Winchester H.O. (High Output) with an 8 twist. Just one mans opinion.

short action cartridges designed to work in unmodified factory offerings with faster twists has been the thing since the creedmore success. every manufacture is looking for their little niche.
taking the belt off the 264 and blowing it out would be the 6.5 rpm but the long action is not where it is at now with the new shooters

short action cartridges designed to work in unmodified factory offerings with faster twists has been the thing since the creedmore success. every manufacture is looking for their little niche.
taking the belt off the 264 and blowing it out would be the 6.5 rpm but the long action is not where it is at now with the new shooters
I want it to shoot 3/8 " m.o.a. out to at least 600 yards! What ever it is long short medium action I couldn't care less. But I want it to shoot a 140 grain at 3300 fps!

The same situation applies to 22-250. Gunmakers would only make either 12 or 14 twist barrels and missed out on an opportunity to make what i consider a great cartridge even better. By not getting on the fast twist heavy for caliber high bc bullets companies have missed a golden opportunity.
Yea your correct I have a CVA 22-250 with a 10 twist still doesn't do much in stabilizing 64 gr. Extremely accurate with 55 gr.

Yea your correct I have a CVA 22-250 with a 10 twist still doesn't do much in stabilizing 64 gr. Extremely accurate with 55 gr.
270 win with 130 gmx have been very accurate and great on pigs. The Douglas barrel doesn't like the heavier bullets. I'm considering getting another 270 barrel 9 twist but I'm keeping an open mind and reading the comments about the 8 twist? When is it to much spin?

Just what we need...more cartridges! He'll they can't keep up with what we got. All this hype for basically nothing gained for the most part..

Anybody else find this hilarious that Winchester is redoing their own 270wsm? Maybe I should think of it like Windows coming out with XP after Windows 95 already was out?

They were only 0.007" away from this 19 years ago. Guess the bullets to support it didn't exist?

20210102_180739.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.