New Cartridge 6.8 Western

Till the bullet companies bring out more 257 and 277 bullets these are not viable long range calibers. Especially when I can just go up .007 and have a 7mm with a huge assortment of long range bullets. Or go up the same .007 from a 25 and have a 6.5 with a huge assortment. Amazing what .007 can do. Till then the 270 and 257 will be forgotten by most of the true long range crowd. Sucks for me because I'm a huge 257wby fan. So I can do a fast twist 257 and have one bullet or go to 6.5 and have over a dozen. Same goes for the 270. Yes I think a 6.5 wsm would easily out sell any 270 made.
Shep

The new 165ablr would be a good fit in the new cartridge. But it's not enough to make me go to a 270. Nothing wrong with the good old 270. Yep. Nothing wrong with the good old 308 and 3006 either. Except they are boring. In building custom rifles for 30 yrs and I've built one 308 and one 3006 and I don't even own a 270 reamer because not one person asked for one yet. The guy that bought the 308 already called me and said he should of listened to me and did a 6.5creed. But he already had a 30 dollar die set. And some used brass. So he stayed with 308 for those reasons.
Shep

The new 165ablr would be a good fit in the new cartridge. But it's not enough to make me go to a 270. Nothing wrong with the good old 270. Yep. Nothing wrong with the good old 308 and 3006 either. Except they are boring. In building custom rifles for 30 yrs and I've built one 308 and one 3006 and I don't even own a 270 reamer because not one person asked for one yet. The guy that bought the 308 already called me and said he should of listened to me and did a 6.5creed. But he already had a 30 dollar die set. And some used brass. So he stayed with 308 for those reasons.
Shep
Even though "science" and the shooting public is putting a premium on the 6-7mm sweet spot, the twist rate of factory offerings for the 270 Win market is stalling it's advance, which kills other 277 bore offerings.
What is stopping factory gun builders from providing a higher twist rate and 2 or 3 new lines of factory ammo? I don't see a 1:8 twist killing a 277 130 gr bullet's accuracy that we have today. My 7mm 8.5 twist shoots a 140 gr extremely well.
With CNC rifling machines, a simple program change and "maybe", a slightly improved cutter design. The ammo makers would be able to add more products and cash to their bottom line. Seems like a 'bottom up' demand from ammo makers to do this.
Seems like a win-win for all parties.

If your late for the bus you get left behind. 257 and 277 wasn't just late for the bus but they were at the wrong bus stop too. If Winchester would have done the 270wsm with an 8 twist at the very start it would have had a chance. To try and fix it now with a new cartridge that's almost identical seems silly to me. But they are trying to bring it back from the dead. Look at the new and shiney. I don't really see it beating the 6.5prc in sales.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.