New caliber selection

warboar21

I bought a Tikka T3 7MM Rem Mag about 4 years ago. I have tried and tried to get this rifle to shoot but it just never shot well enough for me. I've tried several different bullet and powder combinations and found two bullets that it would shoot. Neither one of the bullets are what I was wanting so I ended up putting the gun in the safe and moving on to something different.

I am looking at re-barreling the Tikka and have been thinking hard on which caliber I want to go with. I had thought about going with another 7mm Rem Mag barrel as this would be logical since I already have the dies, brass, and everything needed for loading it. But then I start thinking of building something else. I have been thinking hard on two calibers in particular.

The first caliber I was looking at was the 257 Weatherby with a fast twist barrel around 26" long. I have a first generation Remington Sendero in 25-06 and love everything about it except the weight. I have taken everything from Pronghorn to Elk with the rifle but the gun is heavier than I like.
My brother has a 257 Weatherby and has also harvested quite a few deer and elk with it and loves the rifle.
I was thinking I could put a faster twist barrel on it and take advantage of the sleek heavy VLD bullets to really take advantage of the Caliber.

The second caliber I am looking at is the 270 WSM. Again I would go with a 24"-26" fast twist barrel to take advantage of the long VLD bullets. I was thinking with the long action of the Tikka I could really take advantage of seating the 170gr EOL out there and gain the extra velocity.

I am leaning pretty heavily towards the WSM as brass and other reloading components were easier to get a hold of prior to the current situation. I appreciate any and all feedback you all have.

The Tikka actions are medium length actions and really don't do great with cartridges as long as 7mm Rem Mag, Weatherby's, or even 30-06 length cartridges. Especially if you want to use the magazine and load heavy for caliber long range bullets. I strongly suggest the 6.5 PRC, 7mm SAUM, and if you want something different the 270 WSM with a fast twist is a good option as well but with limited bullet options.

The Tikka actions are medium length actions and really don't do great with cartridges as long as 7mm Rem Mag, Weatherby's, or even 30-06 length cartridges. Especially if you want to use the magazine and load heavy for caliber long range bullets. I strongly suggest the 6.5 PRC, 7mm SAUM, and if you want something different the 270 WSM with a fast twist is a good option as well but with limited bullet options.
Shermanwildcatcartridges.com
Everything in stock including ADG brass
lots of options

6.5 PRC feeds perfect out of a 7rm/ 300 wm tikka magazine. With lapua brass coming soon and ADG already making it that's the route I would go. And you can get a Proof prefit. SAUM's aren't a bad option either with ADG brass. The lack of brass and bullet options kinda kills the 270 wsm for me personally.

Before calling the rifle bad. Have you bedded the rifle? Lapped the Barrel? Checked your screws on the scope rings or bases or tried a different scope?

What ^^^^ said. I would try this and if it doesn't work, I'd rebarrel again for the 7mm Rem Mag with a 8.5 twist, by thats just me, I love my 7mm Rem Mag that I'm now shooting 180gr VLDH's with.

Stay safe

Last edited:
What are you trying to hunt with it? With things as they are right now, I think the component issue makes the 270 WSM the favorite, but many of the .257's are superb for medium game, and up into elk, as you've said. One day I'd love to talk to someone that owns a 257 Lazzeroni Scramjet to see how it performs, so there's always that option, if you're a millionaire...

Before calling the rifle bad. Have you bedded the rifle? Lapped the Barrel? Checked your screws on the scope rings or bases or tried a different scope?
I have done all kinds of things. I have tried two different scopes, I have used two different sets of rings, I have pulled the rifle from the stock and made sure there was nothing touching the barrel. I took a little more material out of the barrel channel just to make sure nothing was touching. I ensured the actions screws were torqued down to recommended specs. I borrowed my friends bore scope to ensure the barrel didn't look like the last Remington I bought with messed up rifling 2/3rds up the barrel and all kinds of tool chatter. The barrel was smooth and the lands and grooves looked perfect.
I have tried Sierra, Hornady, Berger, Barnes, Nosler, and Swift. I tried all of them at various seating depths. I've tried just about every powder combo one can think of.

The only factory load that shot worth a darn was the Sellior & Belliot 140gr round nose. I had three rounds touching in a nice clover leaf. I bought this box of ammo as the cheapest thing I could find for rifle sight in and barrel break in. I have found that the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips will shoot slightly over an inch consistently. I also have to keep the velocities down under 2900fps to achieve this.

I have put an honest effort into this rifle and like I said i'm done with the 7mm Mag barrel that is on it now. Besides the Remington with the sewer pipe barrel i've only had one other rifle that wouldn't shoot and that is a Howa chambered in 6.5x55. The throat is so long on it that you can not seat a bullet out far enough to get close enough to the lands with anything i've tried. I need to have that barrel pulled and have it set back and recut the chamber. It's also in the back of the safe next to the Tikka.

6.5 PRC or one of the Sherman's looks closer to something you'll be successful with.

Sounds like you got tired before working on bedding. Not sure what stock you have, but likely you will need to replace it before you see accuracy that you will be happy with.

Frankly, I would buy a Bell & Carlson stock for it as a 7mm Rem Mag. Yes there are better stocks, but B&C is good enough for best accuracy. Bed it and see how it shoots. You may be thrilled as Tikka's generally shoot.

If not, it is the foundation you need to take advantage of the new barrel. If money is a factor, use a Shilen blank from MidwayUSA. I think they are like $280.

What are you trying to hunt with it? With things as they are right now, I think the component issue makes the 270 WSM the favorite, but many of the .257's are superb for medium game, and up into elk, as you've said. One day I'd love to talk to someone that owns a 257 Lazzeroni Scramjet to see how it performs, so there's always that option, if you're a millionaire...
I'm sure i'm like most people on this forum that has a rifle for every day of the week. For Dedicated hunting rifles I have plenty of overlap. Ones I use are 25-06, 6.5x55, 270 Win, 280AI, 308s, 300 H&H, 375 Ruger, and a 45-70.

I'm not a true long range hunter. Furthest i've ever shot at large game is 500yds. With my 280AI I have shot out to 1200yds on steel and paper but never live animals. I'm not against people who do, I just don't feel confident enough in my shooting ability to take longer shots.

My reason for the two cartridges I listed is because of my love of the quarter bore and I really like my 270 Win as well. My 270 shoots the 150gr Partition just under 3000fps and very accurately for a Featherweight. I have started working on the 150gr Berger but i'm thinking i'll have to drop to the 140gr to get the accuracy due to the 10 twist barrel.
If the action was a non magnum I would do the 25-06 and call it good. I love that caliber because it hammers coyote and is great on Antelope and Deer. The 257 Bee is a better performer of course but at a price.

With the 270 WSM I would have the Berger line of VLD all the way up to the 170gr EOL.
With the 257 Bee I could load the custom heavies.

I'm not looking for cartridges where I have to special order dies and brass. I want to keep it somewhat simple so I can shoot factory ammo if the need arises.

I'm sure i'm like most people on this forum that has a rifle for every day of the week. For Dedicated hunting rifles I have plenty of overlap. Ones I use are 25-06, 6.5x55, 270 Win, 280AI, 308s, 300 H&H, 375 Ruger, and a 45-70.

I'm not a true long range hunter. Furthest i've ever shot at large game is 500yds. With my 280AI I have shot out to 1200yds on steel and paper but never live animals. I'm not against people who do, I just don't feel confident enough in my shooting ability to take longer shots.

My reason for the two cartridges I listed is because of my love of the quarter bore and I really like my 270 Win as well. My 270 shoots the 150gr Partition just under 3000fps and very accurately for a Featherweight. I have started working on the 150gr Berger but i'm thinking i'll have to drop to the 140gr to get the accuracy due to the 10 twist barrel.
If the action was a non magnum I would do the 25-06 and call it good. I love that caliber because it hammers coyote and is great on Antelope and Deer. The 257 Bee is a better performer of course but at a price.

With the 270 WSM I would have the Berger line of VLD all the way up to the 170gr EOL.
With the 257 Bee I could load the custom heavies.

I'm not looking for cartridges where I have to special order dies and brass. I want to keep it somewhat simple so I can shoot factory ammo if the need arises.
I like your plan, keep it simple and go with an 8 twist 270 wsm.
The wsm cases are extremely easy to tune, you'll love the effortless accuracy.
Now for the love of Jesus can we get Petetson or ADG to start making some WSM brass!

I'd go with a 270wsm with a fast twist to push the 170 EOL or 6.5 PRC if you want something more readily available. If you want something a little more unique a 6.5 or 7 SAUM would be super cool. I own a custom 6.5 SAUM an love the cartridge. We currently have two Tikkas in our safe my Girlfriends 270 wsm and my 300 wsm backup rifle. My 300 shoots the 185 vld HSM ammo 1/2MOA at 2940 FPS. I'm working on a hand load with the 185 vld seen as it already likes that bullet. Her 270 so far likes Norma factory 150 Soft Point at 5/8-3/4 MOA. I'm hoping to get it to shoot the Berger 140 classic hunters. It absolutely hates the new Sierra gamechangers.

I bought a Tikka T3 7MM Rem Mag about 4 years ago. I have tried and tried to get this rifle to shoot but it just never shot well enough for me. I've tried several different bullet and powder combinations and found two bullets that it would shoot. Neither one of the bullets are what I was wanting so I ended up putting the gun in the safe and moving on to something different.

I am looking at re-barreling the Tikka and have been thinking hard on which caliber I want to go with. I had thought about going with another 7mm Rem Mag barrel as this would be logical since I already have the dies, brass, and everything needed for loading it. But then I start thinking of building something else. I have been thinking hard on two calibers in particular.

The first caliber I was looking at was the 257 Weatherby with a fast twist barrel around 26" long. I have a first generation Remington Sendero in 25-06 and love everything about it except the weight. I have taken everything from Pronghorn to Elk with the rifle but the gun is heavier than I like.
My brother has a 257 Weatherby and has also harvested quite a few deer and elk with it and loves the rifle.
I was thinking I could put a faster twist barrel on it and take advantage of the sleek heavy VLD bullets to really take advantage of the Caliber.

The second caliber I am looking at is the 270 WSM. Again I would go with a 24"-26" fast twist barrel to take advantage of the long VLD bullets. I was thinking with the long action of the Tikka I could really take advantage of seating the 170gr EOL out there and gain the extra velocity.

I am leaning pretty heavily towards the WSM as brass and other reloading components were easier to get a hold of prior to the current situation. I appreciate any feedback you all have.
I am not a big fan of any proprietary cartridges. Your choice of 1:8" twist .270 WSM is an excellent chambering. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.