New bullet/load for 300WM?

BuckyFan69

I am planning a WY muley hunt next fall and thought about working up a new load combo for my Savage110fp 24" heavy barrel. For WI whitetail I've been using 165g Serria GK's over 73.5g of H4831 the last few seasons and am more than pleased this load. As long as I've done my part it's hit everything I've shot at out to 350yds. Figuring distance and wind could be more of a factor in WY I'm considering moving up to 180-185g bullet. Should I leave well enough alone or would the heavier bullet be beneficial? If I do switch I'm going to use SGK, Berger, or the SSTX. Powder choice would be H4831 but am open to others. Any and all info/opinions welcome. Thanks guys!

If you are going to hold the range to around 400 yards or less what you have is fine. But now if you want to reach out to 800-1000 yards (the 300WM can do that with style) the heavy bullets are a better choice. I'm in the process of building a 300 and will start with the 210gr Berger using H1000 or IMR7828. The heavier bullets are not off the table. There is a fella here "Broz" who knows more about the 300WM and heavy bullets than most. Read some of his post and you can learn a bunch.

Not very experienced at long ranges but if you decide to go to 180-185 class, I'm having pretty good luck with Berger VLD H-185 and H4831.

I like heavy as well for 300WM or 200 gr NAB's to be exact. I am getting great speed and accuracy with H1000 and Ramshot Magnum, both around 77-grains. If I was going with 168- it would be 4350 and NBT.

I shoot only two bullets in my 300wm, berger 215's and barnes 200 lrx. Both shoot very well and within one moa of each other out to a 1000yrds.
I "feel" with those two bullets I have the whole spectrum of shots covered. If I need to drive from stem to stern I go with the barnes, if the are cooperating perfectly and are at a long distance I use the bergers.
Besides, I live on the left coast (had to use copper in certain areas) and moonbeam (governor) just signed a total lead ban for the whole state. Hopefully it will not spread to other states, unfortunately some will be pushing for this more and more.

The optimum bullet weight for the 300 for long range is 200gr, which is what I use, but for general deer hunting the 180gr is not too far behind out to 800yrds or so.
I find either the 180gr BT or Accubond work well at longer ranges, but for the most accurate bullet out to 1000yrds, I run 200gr Accubonds.
Another good long range bullet is the 210gr A-Max.
gun)
Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts