New bullet load development

Hey all,

Since I have no more hunting tags for myself to fill, I'm going to play around with some heavy bullets in my '06.

I'm going to test out Sierra 200gr game kings for the first time in combination with aa4350 since it's a touch slower than h4350. And I'll be using Winchester LR primers. Depending on how this powder/bullet combo goes, I may try this bullet with the staball 6.5 for fun.

I would like to keep this simple. I don't want to do a speed ladder test with my magneto, because shooting only for speed drives me nuts. The goal is to get a sub moa load at as high velocity as possible... so that goal might decide what the best first step is. My '06 is a Tikka, so I have to limit my COAL to ~3.35 or less. And I want to keep this simple!!

I'm not trying to find a 1/4 minute group right now... I'm just wanting to play around with these bullets and possibly change up my load development process. And burn out my barrel ;)

Because I've not shot this bullet before, should I:

1. Start by picking a medium charge and test varying seating depths changing to them up by 0.010 or so.

2. Start by varying charge weights to see which groups best, using the recommended COAL from Sierra's load data.
If you can find it, you might try RL16. It is in the 4350's burn rate window on charts. I have found it to be slower and require a Magnum primer in 30-06 with 150 gr bullet. Regular LR primer might be right on with RL16 + heavy bullets.

If you can find it, you might try RL16. It is in the 4350's burn rate window on charts. I have found it to be slower and require a Magnum primer in 30-06 with 150 gr bullet. Regular LR primer might be right on with RL16 + heavy bullets.

I do! I've heard a few people say that it's slower burning than 4350, but it's just ahead of h4350 on hodgdons burn rate chart, Soni figured it wouldn't be as suitable. I'll give that a shot too, as long as I can keep finding these bullets. I only have 80 left!

Hey all,

Since I have no more hunting tags for myself to fill, I'm going to play around with some heavy bullets in my '06.

I'm going to test out Sierra 200gr game kings for the first time in combination with aa4350 since it's a touch slower than h4350. And I'll be using Winchester LR primers. Depending on how this powder/bullet combo goes, I may try this bullet with the staball 6.5 for fun.

I would like to keep this simple. I don't want to do a speed ladder test with my magneto, because shooting only for speed drives me nuts. The goal is to get a sub moa load at as high velocity as possible... so that goal might decide what the best first step is. My '06 is a Tikka, so I have to limit my COAL to ~3.35 or less. And I want to keep this simple!!

I'm not trying to find a 1/4 minute group right now... I'm just wanting to play around with these bullets and possibly change up my load development process. And burn out my barrel ;)

Because I've not shot this bullet before, should I:

1. Start by picking a medium charge and test varying seating depths changing to them up by 0.010 or so.

2. Start by varying charge weights to see which groups best, using the recommended COAL from Sierra's load data.

One of the other 4350s would be better.

Well, dang.

I decided to revisit the 56.1, 56.5, and 57.3 charges again, but also threw in 56.3 and 57.5. There was nothing different about these loads, other than charge. The weather was slightly warmer, with a slightly higher barometric pressure, but not by a lot. The 56.1 still looks good... A lot better actually. The 56.5 still looks pretty good. I would think 56.3 would be good too... I don't know if I shot that one poorly or if the sweet spots are just very narrow. Then 57.3 for some reason seems to be garbage this time (the low right one had a BTO way off the others) and the 57.5 was pretty good.

So, I don't know if it's me or the powder or something else :/

Maybe I'll try a different primer.

I need to make myself a dummy round to mix in there next time.

Attachments

• IMG_20201106_185009019.jpg
    IMG_20201106_185009019.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.