New Bullet Design?

Captn C

I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the H
I have been thinking about this for a looooong time.

I like the Nosler BT, but I've noticed if I recover a bullet all that is ever left is the jacket only. I have not had any issues with the BT stopping power....BUT my little brains gets to working sometimes....

Why not design a petitioned BT and have it a boat tail??????????

In my limited way of thinking wouldn't you increase the BC of the bullet?

*The petition would help lengthen the overall length (copper is lighter than lead in the same area of the bullet)...
*The plastic tip is lighter than the normal lead point on a petitioned bullet...
*The boat tail would also help increase the length...ever little bit helps?!?!?

On closer shot is would help weight retension and the increased BC help for long range shots!

Am I way off base with this or does Nosler (or other brand maker) need to hire me?:D

Last edited:
Just my .02 cents, but I don't think a partitioned Ballistic Tip would work very well. The reason for the BT is to be forced through the core of the bullet and promote expansion of the bullet. If you were to put a partition in the bullet, you would drastically decrease the length in which you can shove the BT back to mushroom the bullet. This would lead to a smaller frontal area after expansion. If you like the Nosler BT, but don't like how they come apart, just switch over to the Nosler Accubond. Same basic bullet, but it has the core and jacket bonded together which greatly helps in weight retention.

According to Nosler, that is how they designed the Accubond to perform. They do it by bonding and a hevier base. capt david

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.