New Build

jpbaker

Hey everyone,

First of Hi, im the new one (newbie) to the forum.

K here is what im thinking for my new build. I would like some input, and some advise as to what you are all thinking.

The rifle will mainly be used at the range, maybe used on some deer fields (maybe).

Sooo:

- .308 in Rem 700 SPS tactical action HB
- Bell and Carlson Varmit/Tactical
- Wyatts 10 rd Drop Mag
- Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm SF
- Custom Kenton Scope Turrets.

After this it would just be like the bipod and some acc.
All of this is subject to change with some advise/insite

I have also heard the the stock that comes on the SPS tactical is a houge. I have not found any doc. on this, is this true, if so should I just buy that combo and not worry about the B/C....

TKS
Jordan

Welcome.
Personally, I am not a fan of the hogue stock.
I would look at getting the 5R with the HS stock. Comes in 20" or 24 " barrel.

Welcome. I would look at the .308 700P with badger bottom, DM. These rifle are very accurate out of the box and with a little work, bedding, etc, you can really make them shoot.

Hey everyone,

First of Hi, im the new one (newbie) to the forum.

K here is what im thinking for my new build. I would like some input, and some advise as to what you are all thinking.

The rifle will mainly be used at the range, maybe used on some deer fields (maybe).

Sooo:

- .308 in Rem 700 SPS tactical action HB
- Bell and Carlson Varmit/Tactical
- Wyatts 10 rd Drop Mag
- Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm SF
- Custom Kenton Scope Turrets.

After this it would just be like the bipod and some acc.
All of this is subject to change with some advise/insite

I have also heard the the stock that comes on the SPS tactical is a houge. I have not found any doc. on this, is this true, if so should I just buy that combo and not worry about the B/C....

TKS
Jordan

I like this setup to start. The 5R and 700P are nice rifles, but you pay for it. Instead of the A2 (Which I own for my Savage), if you can swing the cost look into the A5 offered by B&C from Stocky's stocks. It is fully adjustable and a much better stock. I couldn't get it because I own a Savage. Just something you may want to think about.

Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable - Remington 700 BDL (SPS, XCR, VTR) & Weatherby Mk V - #2094, 2098, 6629

I essentially started with the same setup only in a Savage Mod12 Low Profile. It's a very nice rifle and easy to work on w/o a smith. I will suggest getting an EGW one piece 20MOA base. I own the 4.5x14x40 Buckmaster and like it, but the turns on it can be a little short for distance if you don't add the 20MOA base. That will help and get you to 800yds or more. I was able to get to 1000yds with mine set up like that. That was a paper/groundhog set up. For rings I would suggest the Burris XTR, or Signature Zee Rings. I also like Warne rings too. All three are quite sturdy.

Make sure you do a good barrel break in and get the trigger worked on. This will help your success of accurate shooting tremendously. Have fun and can't wait to see the final product.

Tank

P.S. May want to take a look at Savage.

OK,

Now I got a problem, just got a call from the gun shop. They said that Remington will only sell the action with a standard barrel. I dont know anywhere to buy a heavy barrel in Canada, HELP!!!!

So, now im looking for new actions, I would consider the WBY, or savage, however, savage on a B&C stock does not have a drop mag, or I dont think they do. I really want a drop, cuz of the hi-cap mag.

Any1 have any ideas for me, im kind of stuck.

TKS

OK,

So, now im looking for new actions, I would consider the WBY, or savage, however, savage on a B&C stock does not have a drop mag, or I dont think they do. I really want a drop, cuz of the hi-cap mag.

Any1 have any ideas for me, im kind of stuck.

TKS

H-S make a stock that allows you to build a short action utilizing a Savage and their factory DBM (detachable box magazine). However, CDI make bottom metal and magazine that will also work with Savage actions. Anther option for Savage is Stockade Stocks. He has a full line of stocks, accessories, and bottom metal with drop magazine that will fit any Savage combination you want. He is down to earth and very knowledgeable.

Stockade Gun Stocks - specializing in custom rifles

Check them out and give Kevin Rayhill a call. Another option is Sharp Shooter Supply, but he can be difficult to get a hold of. Kevin of Stockade gave me a ton of advice to self tune my Savage and I purchased some of his stuff.

Tank

Another thought came to mind. If you really want to stick with the SPS, then buy it and send it away to be customized. Get the cheapest model 700 that Remington makes, or better yet, find a used one in good shape. Use one of the smiths on this sight or in Canada and have it trued, timed, (bolt lugs lapped, bolt face lapped, front of the receiver trued, threads cleaned up) and customized (Barrel and caliber of your choice, custom stock, custom bottom metal and magazine, rings, base) to fit your expectations. Will cost you around $1500 to $2000, but you will have a real good shooter in the end. Just a thought.

You could sell the old barrel and stock to use toward the new rifle.

Tank

Yeah,

I talked to the guy at the shop today. They have alot of used guns comming and going, so he is going to give me a call when they have a decent Remington 700 BDL Action.

As for a barrel, the jury is still out, I cant seem to find a place in Canada (bringing a barrel across the border is an issue).

Untill then, I will pick up an A3 (A5 is a bit pricy 4 me), and then the wyatts hi-cap mag system.

Once I get the action, I will take it to my local gunsmith to get it blueprinted and trued.

Sooo,

I guess for now I will play it by ear.

Worse comes to worse, I buy a tactical SPS rifle on wholesalesports out of Calgary, will cost me a bit extra and will have a stock for sale, but if thats what it takes.........

TKS for all your help guys.
(im still open for ideas)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.