New build

If wanting a 6.5. I'd go a fast twist 6.5x284 or 6.5-06AI. I'm starting to like mono bullets and would like to take advantage of the heavier ones. I wouldn't step down to a 260AI. Although they shine in a properly throated long action!

I really love my 280AI. It's my favorite rifle I own. And most likely will always keep one around.

Others to consider would be something in the .25 caliber. Lots of fun things there. Also many of the Sherman Wildcats have me looking hard!

I love my 6.5-06 and it is very easy to load for. I run Hornady 143 ELD-X at 2965 fps and use hornady 25-06 brass, run it through the sizer die and the brass is done. Ackley improve it for a little more horsepower but it will run right with the 6.5x284 as is already.

Beeman & ButterBean, what is your expected barrel life with those velocities? What barrel lengths are you running? I often will test 300+ rounds to find the perfect load and dont want a third of the barrel life gone when I find it. Granted with fewer high BC bullet options out there for the quarter bore I suspect I may find the magic recipe in fewer rounds.
I'm kind of like ButterBean and not worried about barrel life. My 25-06AI had right at 1000 rounds when I decided to take the barrel off and try a 25-284. 25-06 AI had a 26" Krieger and shot the 115 Berger at 3350 FPS with H1000. Only have 30 rounds down the pipe on the 25-284 and no velocity data yet. It wears a 26" Helix6. Dang work gets in the way of fun.

I don't worry that much about barrel life. Amongst my rifles, I would have to shoot around 25,000 rounds before I burnt the barrels out on all of my center fire bolt action rifles.

Just built a 6.5 -284 on a LA Rem. with 1-7 twist. Shoots very soft with a brake and all my buddies love it. Got Lapua brass playing with 140 and 153.5 Berger's. Had to call Berger for a load on the 153s because they are so new and they recommended VV N570...just waiting on my powder to be delivered.

A 6.5 X 06. Tons of inexpensive brass available. I have one with a 24", 1/8 twist E.R. Shaw stainless Bbl. About $450 installed. Shoots tiny groups. A load of Rel 26 drives 140gr Nosler AB bullets to 3075 fps. Inexpensive once fired 25-06 or 30-06 , one pass thru the 6.5-06 FL sizer, load & shoot. No trimming or neck turning required. A super smooth round. Same ballistics as the 6.5 PRC or 6.5x284. The difference is the availability of plentiful inexpensive brass.

I would second the 6.5/284 it is about the single most efficient case design there is, however since you stated you did not care for the rebated rim my choice would be the 6.5×55 AI. It IMHO is a very close second. Anything beyond these two in a 6.5 is going to be overbore and anything less would not be any better than the creedmoor you already own. I have owned and hunted with 6.5×55, 6.5×284, 6.5. Creedmoor, and 6.5 Ackley. They were all excellent shooters. I presently own a creedmoor and I am considering another 6.5×284 build on a Sako action. I really like the 6.5 caliber but you do not gain much with the over bore cartridges and barrel life goes in the tank pretty quick. I shot my last 6.5×284 built on a Nesika action for bench competitions about 15 years ago. I put close to a 1000 rounds through it before I traded it and never shot it out. I am presently playing around with a 338 RUM which also has a rebated rim. It is on a Remington 700 action. Neither it, nor my 6.5×284 have ever given me any issues with a combined 1200+ rounds through them. The 6.5×284`in my opinion really is just about the best variant of the 6.5 there is and one of the best cartridge designs out there along with its big brother the 284 winchester. Both way ahead of there time have won more benchest competitions than most other cartridges combined. Whichever you decided to build I am sure you will enjoy it. Both the 6.5×284 and 6.5×55 AI are excellent cartridges and are basically ballistic twins.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.