New build

mleeber

I have had a Remington 700 30-06 sitting in the vault for almost a year now. Bought it with the intention of building something on a long action, an AI 6.5 variant was the leader in the clubhouse at the time. I already have a 300WM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5CM and 308 so I am having a tough time picking a cartridge. I dont want anything overbore or a barrel burner and I will use the gun for both PRS and hunting. I load everything I shoot so goofy obscure cartridges are not a problem. And, I do not mind using a short action cartridge either, one of the best 308s I ever built was in a long action so I could shoot 210gr SMKs. Any suggestions?

25-06AI jumps to mind for LA. SA option I'm intrigued by is 25 Creedmoor since reading the below article. I think both would kill it with 131 Blackjacks.

My vote would be a 6.5x284 or .284 Winchester Match. They work great on 700 long actions and they'll fit your standard bolt face. I built a .284 on an old Remington 700 action that was originally a .270 Winchester. I shoot 175 Berger's at 2840fps. It's a great all around cartridge. The 6.5x284 will do 3000-3050fps with 140s and 2900-2950 with 156 Berger's. Either one would fit your needs. Great brass is available for both of them as well. Lapua and Norma for the 6.5x284 and Norma and Peterson for the standard .284 Win. There's also Hornady available for both.

Thank you! First I have heard of the 25 Creedmoor and it sounds perfect although I do have the donor long action already for 25-06AI.

I think the 25 Sherman pushes the Blackjack to ~3,300 fps but plenty of options keeping your bolt face;

A 25-06AI with a 7 twist would be good. I just did a 25-284 to shoot the blackjack and hammers. If going 6.5 you could build a Sherman. 270 win parent case. Mine will drive a 140 Berger at 3339 FPS. Only draw back is more brass preparation, but the performance is great.

Beeman & ButterBean, what is your expected barrel life with those velocities? What barrel lengths are you running? I often will test 300+ rounds to find the perfect load and dont want a third of the barrel life gone when I find it. Granted with fewer high BC bullet options out there for the quarter bore I suspect I may find the magic recipe in fewer rounds.

Beeman & ButterBean, what is your expected barrel life with those velocities? What barrel lengths are you running? I often will test 300+ rounds to find the perfect load and dont want a third of the barrel life gone when I find it. Granted with fewer high BC bullet options out there for the quarter bore I suspect I may find the magic recipe in fewer rounds.
I'm running a 23.5" tube and I'm pushing hard and to be honest I never worry about barrel life expectancy, I'm just having a blast

I have had a Remington 700 30-06 sitting in the vault for almost a year now. Bought it with the intention of building something on a long action, an AI 6.5 variant was the leader in the clubhouse at the time. I already have a 300WM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5CM and 308 so I am having a tough time picking a cartridge. I dont want anything overbore or a barrel burner and I will use the gun for both PRS and hunting. I load everything I shoot so goofy obscure cartridges are not a problem. And, I do not mind using a short action cartridge either, one of the best 308s I ever built was in a long action so I could shoot 210gr SMKs. Any suggestions?
.240WBY, 25/06AI , 6.5/284, 338/06

how about 6.5 RPM from weatherby. I sent back my mark V ultralight that was factory 280 to weatherby to be rebarreled to 6.5 RPM should be done and back to me anytime. Did alot or reading before I selected RPM. We will see if it turns out...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.