New build

Bmcnally87

Hey guys, new member but I'm soaking up as much info as I can from you guys. I'm just trying to bounce some ideas for my new build I'm trying to gear up for. Please give suggestions lol. I have a new production win m70 CRF action that I want to canibalize and use on this build. I'd like a manners mcs-sl and a #5 fluted barrel finished at 24". (Leaning towards Lilja) Top it with a vortex viper pst 4-16x50 with EGW base and rings. I'm leaning toward a 260 rem as well. It will be a deer, antelope, coyote gun maybe out to 600 yards. Should be bad medicine on elk out to 300 as well. Anyhow, any thoughts on it let me know. Thanks

How will the gun be fired , from what position ? The stock is a lightweight design but a no 5 barrel is getting toward heavy .
600 yards on game sounds like a long range gun but the stock model seems to be a light stalking type stock if I have the model right .
Each build has to have a very specific purpose in mind so that all the parts work to that end.

Yeah I don't want anything too burdensome to carry is the reason. 600 max and thats on the 'yotes. The stock is about 28oz and the barrel (according to the calculator) should come in a little over 3 lbs. which puts the weight between a #2 and a #3 at a full 26". Is this thinking backwards? Thank you for the response. Oh yeah and I was thinking of a lightweight bipod to make prone shots

It depends a lot on how much room is in the stock barrel channel for the barrel diameter to fit in. You don't want to weaken the forend too much .
I have an unfluted No 3 on my 308 stalking rifle and that is plenty heavy enough for walking around. A fluted No 4 would be about the same weight as an unfluted No 3 in the same bore but you still have diameter to consider.
I usually buy the stock first and then work out what barrel you need and if it can take the diameter . Then you also have to consider , can the stock and bedding system handle the barrel weight ?
More accuracy is lost by weak flexible stocks than by light barrels where hunting is concerned and barrel heating may not be a big issue .
Light Varmint guns can be just as accurate as heavy varmint .
In a lightweight stock I would tend to agree that a fluted No4 or unfluted No3 would put less strain on the bedding system and be lighter to carry also .
You also have to consider the bore diameter a 6.5 bore will have more steel and weight than a 308 bore in the same contour .
Buy the stock first play about with it an asses how rigid you think it is and what bedding system it has or you are prepared to install and go from there at 28 oz I am guessing not super rigid but it is hard to say untill you play with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.