New build with my old sako L61 r action in 300 H&H or not ?

subslinger

I have a sako L61 r action in 300 H&H with 24 in barrel with brake that I did 25 yrs ago , cheap plastic stock that needs replacing, but question is do I rebuild or just leave in safe ? Could I get this to shoot less than moa with some work ? New barrel new stock and bedding or just new stock and bedding ? Has Anyone else tried something similar? Thanks in advance.

Having owned too many 300 H&Hs to remember, the Super 30 is a great cartridge that. with modern components will kill anything in NA.

If it's a good bbl it will shoot MOA or better. Sadly it's too short but it will work.

MGW and Beretta have OEM stocks and Boyds also has 15 different options.

My latest 30 Super, bought with help from here ! (bottom one)

IMG_4115.jpeg

The Sako actions are very good (specially the old ones) and can be very accurate if built correctly.

If you like and are used to the action, I would recommend using it to build on.

Get a good laminated stock, and pillar bed the action . A new quality barrel would complete the build.

J E CUSTOM

I've got a L61 338WM i put a Mcmillan stock and bedded it 15 years ago, it loves 210NP and I really like this rifle.
I dont shot it hardly anymore because of my LR stuff but if I was going after dedicated moose, bear and elk under 500 yards it would come out of the safe.
It still has the Bofors factory barrel.

I have a sako L61 r action in 300 H&H with 24 in barrel with brake that I did 25 yrs ago , cheap plastic stock that needs replacing, but question is do I rebuild or just leave in safe ? Could I get this to shoot less than moa with some work ? New barrel new stock and bedding or just new stock and bedding ? Has Anyone else tried something similar? Thanks in advance.

"However, in 1935, something happened that had a profound effect and started a trend that continues to this day. In that year a shooter named Ben Comfort won the Wimbledon Cup (1,000 yards) with a rifle chambered for the 300 H&H Magnum, shooting factory match ammo of all things."

So, I guess that answers the question about the viability of the .300 H&H especially considering the quality and number of exceptional .30 caliber bullets currently available. Besides, it's a classic!;)

I have an L61R chambered for the .375 H&H which is a favorite of mine for certain hunting situations. The action is well made and I've worked on the trigger to suit me. When I feel it's necessary I'll rebarrel for the .375 H&H again.

Personally, if you like the .300 H&H and it works for your needs, I'd rebarrel with one of the high quality barrel makers then consider using a high quality stock which fits you and is comfortable. I'm not a fan of plywood but use the material which pleases you. Be sure to have it bedded stress-free by someone who actually understands bedding. This should provide you with a rifle to last your lifetime.

Enjoy!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.