New build question

Pstores

I am going to have a 6.5wsm built. I am just about to order all the parts. My question is in coal and if I should go long action instead. I am going to use a Montana Rifle Company Action short action, 3.125" of mag length. The bullets I want to shoot are accubond 130 LR and Berger VLD 140. So here are the rest of the build spec.
MRC 1999 Short Action
Lilja #4 fluted 3 groove, 24 1/2"
McMillan Edge in Winchester Hunter
KDF Brake

Read these

I have a 6.5 WSM built on a Rem 700 SA
Shooting the 140 Berger VLD kissing the lands I have to pull the bolt to eject an unfired round out the back of the action.
It is no big headache and I rarely have to do it

I also shoot a 6.5 WSM with 140 VLD's. mine is built on a older Ruger tang safty 7 mag action. My smith had to work on the feed ramp to get it to feed and I can only put 2 in the bottom but it shoots awesome, but you only need one right

Read these

I have a 6.5 WSM built on a Rem 700 SA
Shooting the 140 Berger VLD kissing the lands I have to pull the bolt to eject an unfired round out the back of the action.
It is no big headache and I rarely have to do it

I also shoot a 6.5 WSM with 140 VLD's. mine is built on a older Ruger tang safty 7 mag action. My smith had to work on the feed ramp to get it to feed and I can only put 2 in the bottom but it shoots awesome, but you only need one right
There it is.... If you use a LA, with a std. 3.34" mag box, capacity will be reduced and a lot of time will be spent "makin' it feed". If you use the LA intended for the UMs I'd guess the mag will have to be blocked, as it'd be much too long, and you'll have the long bolt throw. Stick with the MRC SA, as the mag box is 1/4" or so longer then the Rem SA box. Should allow for a cartridge OAL of 3.1", or there abouts. Build a dummy round. If that won't work with the reamer you or your gunsmith have you'll have to get the reamer altered or have one made, so the throating is correct. I'd have a reamer with "no throat" or "minimal throat" and use a throating reamer to set it where I want it. If you get the MRC SA already set-up for the WSMs you'll save a lot of time and labor costs.

Thanks a lot.... I was doing some measuring of rounds and was worried I may have to seat the bullet to beep. A friend has a .270wsm just built basically the same as what I want. That gun shoots great. Since I am a 6.5 fan and am stocked on bullets. I figured to try the 6.5wsm. I looked at the 26 Nolsler and 6.5-300 Weatherby coming out. But, thinking that is way over kill. And I'd like to shoot it alittle. Besides components way cheaper for the 6.5wsm. Appreciated the help.

I am going to have a 6.5wsm built. I am just about to order all the parts. So here are the rest of the build spec.
MRC 1999 Short Action
Lilja #4 fluted 3 groove, 24 1/2"
McMillan Edge in Winchester Hunter
KDF Brake

Just my personal preference but I am not a big fan of radial muzzle brakes (holes all around) esp. during prone. There plenty of effective muzzle brakes out there to choose from.

Good luck on your build.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.