new build on a savage 300 r.u.m.

ktsoutback

I'm looking into purchasing a savage model 111 to start building a long range gun. i have heard that this action may not be smooth loading. can anyone shed some light on this for me? anyone have any thoughts about starting with this rifle?

Several people over here

Savage Shooters Forum - Index

have built on them including the 338Edge.
I believe most of them have been single shots although I know of at least one who has a repeater.
My last 300 RUM was a used gun I purchased & it fed just fine but this was before I was into long range and was using factory ammo.( no long O.A.L stuff)
Main problem is the RUM actions & parts are getting harder to find.
Savage used the same action for the 300RUM,375H&H & the rare 7mmSTW
I too am currently looking to build on this action once I find one.

If you can actually find a RUM Savage action. You'll have a tough time using it as a repeater. Even with a RUM box, you'll be limited to a short mag box.

Making a Savage into a repeater isn't a big deal. Just takes some time with a dremel or mill. You'll also have to modify the mag box and secure it into the stock.

If you don't mind single shot, that's the easiest way to go. No modifications necessary.

If you really want a repeater and don't want to whittle on an action. It's easiest to build on a....gulp....Remington.:D Throw a Wyatt extended box in and go.

Who's making them?

Must be for the new centerfeeds. They have the larger opening.

The staggerfeeds are limited by the magazine opening on the action.

Who's making them?

Must be for the new centerfeeds. They have the larger opening.

The staggerfeeds are limited by the magazine opening on the action.

CDI Precision Gunworks DBM Bottom Metal Review

CDI Precision detachable mag

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-381/H-dsh-S-Precision-Pro-dsh-Series-Steel/Detail
CDI seems to be the main contributor to the bottom metal upgrade with a minor removal of material that is not visible to the exterior of the rifle. It seems to me that SSS, and Badger make one, but don't hold me to that.

Tank

Last edited:
The CDI only seems to come available for Short action.

IS there a long action Detachable set up that can be used to set up for the 338's?

The CDI only seems to come available for Short action.

IS there a long action Detachable set up that can be used to set up for the 338's?

This is just a thought, you should call and talk to CDI, Seekins, Badger Ordance, SSS and other manufacturers. They may make them and you can not find it on their websites. If they have something that will match up with the screw pattern then it may just require a little fitting. I know that I have seen a ton of Savages built with after market DBM's. Check with the guys on savageshooters.com. They all have a ton of info there. Check with some builders too. GA precision has produced some rifles with DBM's on Savage actions. I'm sure Shawn Carlock, Kirby Allen, JE Customs and many others on this sight could point you in a general direction.

Tank

Aldon's right, CDI is short action only.

Nobody else makes a long action DM system for Savage.

That is unless I missed something. I'm a moderator at Savageshooters.com. I'm there quite a bit, but it is possible that I missed something new.

Aldon's right, CDI is short action only.

Nobody else makes a long action DM system for Savage.

That is unless I missed something. I'm a moderator at Savageshooters.com. I'm there quite a bit, but it is possible that I missed something new.

I know I have seen them, but maybe they were all short action rifles. The Lapua is a new game for them, and they did produce a RUM for a short period. I guess if you are doing a custom, you will even have to get custom bottom metal. I bet anyone of the builders with machine shops could make you one.

Tank

Well, I'll be darned. I checked his website before, it isn't there.

I might have to try out the long action bottom metal on one of my WSM's.

Wonder how the AI 300wm magazine will feed the wsm's?

They definitely won't feed a RUM length.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.