new build on a savage 300 r.u.m.

It took me a while but I located and bought a 116 SS 300RUM today. Large Shank.

I want to set it up with DBM in 338 edge.

In the next week or so I will be contacting some companies to see what I can locate in the way of bottom metal. (If anyone knows for sure...let us know)

Then I need to locate a stock that can be inlet for the combo. I really dislike the plywood stocks so looking for synthetic...Is stockade the only option??

Just the luck of the draw that I did not locate one until I purchases a Remington SPS SS 300 RUM.....I really need to foster more patience!

I have to decide whether to keep or sell the SPS now,,,,,leaning towards keeping it and setting the Savage up as a switch barrel gun with a couple other barrels.....

Last edited:
Geargrinder, What do you think of taking the CDI and lengthening it by cutting and extending it? A little welding perhaps.

I have to see if I can locate a shop that will do some tig welding or something.

I might have to have the stock proffesinally inletted.

Geargrinder, What do you think of taking the CDI and lengthening it by cutting and extending it? A little welding perhaps.

I have to see if I can locate a shop that will do some tig welding or something.

I might have to have the stock proffesinally inletted.

You're not only going to be limited by the magazine but also by the opening of the action.

It says that CDI uses AI magazines. AI also makes a 338 Lapua magazine. You might be able to alter the bottom metal, stock inlet and action opening to make the magazine work.

It will be a ton of work. It's easier to just use it single shot, or use an action more suited for the long cartridges.

That was what I was thinking as far as using the 338 lapua magazine and modifying the bottom metal. I think this is doable as long as I do not have to remove significant metal from the action.

I am going to try and call CDI this week and see if I can pick their brain.

It will be unique, and once complete I will not need to have a lathe to do a lot of my own projects.

I know single shot is an option, but this project intrigues me.

perhaps once the lapua's come out, bottom metal will be available.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.