New build, new to nice optics.

Mitch Rapp

Ok, I am new at this stuff, so please bear with me....

I am getting a Savage .308 to be my first serious long range stick. I am going to have no more than $550 in my budget for the optic.

Here are a few I am looking at, please tell me pros and cons, or make other suggestions. I want a scope that tracks well, and preferably has some sort of mil reticle, and mil turrets. My buddy who is an Army Sniper gets out this summer, so I am trying to get set up before then, and get the rifle and myself figured out a bit.

Burris 3.5-10x42 MTAC 30mm Rifle Scope

Burris 4.5-14x42 MTAC 30mm Rifle Scope

Vortex Viper HS Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 5-15x 44mm Side Focus

Again, my budget is $1350 or a bit less for the total project. The rifle is going to be about $750, then I have to get base and rings, so $500-$550 is my optics budget.

Since you plan to hunt game with it, I would recommend either the Burris MTAC or the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 4.5-14x42. Both have above average contrast, good field of view and solid mechanical turrets. The Hawke has an excellent mildot reticle and illumination. I prefer the side focus on the Hawke to the AO on the MTAC. The Vortex has below average contrast. It's a good target scope, but not a good hunting scope due to low contrast.

Since you plan to hunt game with it, I would recommend either the Burris MTAC or the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 4.5-14x42. Both have above average contrast, good field of view and solid mechanical turrets. The Hawke has an excellent mildot reticle and illumination. I prefer the side focus on the Hawke to the AO on the MTAC. The Vortex has below average contrast. It's a good target scope, but not a good hunting scope due to low contrast.

Looked hard at the Burris MTACs, and I like that reticle. I like exposed turrets, that and the added amount of magnification is what pushed me to the Vortex. That and I have been told that they track very well. Never heard the contrast thing. I may try to get my hands on a couple of each at a local shop I guess.

Any experiences with how the Burris scopes track? and I guess a good question would be, is 10x enough magnification?

If you want to target shoot out to 1,000 yds, you may find 10X too little magnification. For target and big game shooting, my rule of thumb for magnification is divide your max range by 40-70. That puts you at a maximum magnification of 14X-25X. If you have good visual acuity, go 14X. Otherwise, go 20-25X.

If you were primarily big game hunting, I would divide max range by 40-50. That would cap the magnification at 20X. The reason is that glare increases with increasing magnification. Glare reduces contrast and contrast is important for big game hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.