New build- need bullet recommendation

Nodeeriniowa

I am in the process of building a 12.5" 350 legend, standard 1/16 twist. Where I currently hunt, shots are limited to around 150 yds, long range for a pistol, imo. Anyway that is a different conversation. I am wanting opinions on ammo choice. My thinking is I may want to stick with lighter bullets due to short barrel length. 165 and less maybe or should I do 150 or less. Or the typical "see what it likes" may still be the best option. What do y'all think?

I am in the process of building a 12.5" 350 legend, standard 1/16 twist. Where I currently hunt, shots are limited to around 150 yds, long range for a pistol, imo. Anyway that is a different conversation. I am wanting opinions on ammo choice. My thinking is I may want to stick with lighter bullets due to short barrel length. 165 and less maybe or should I do 150 or less. Or the typical "see what it likes" may still be the best option. What do y'all think?
Is there a reason for the 350 legend round choice? Does it meet some state regulatory reason?

In Iowa, we are allowed to use straight wall rifle cartridges, nothing necked down. Also, you can use a pistol during late muzzleloader season. And it just gives me another reason to build another toy.

Sounds like the perfect round for your needs. Low recoil, good ballistics out to 150 yards. The 350 legends tend to shoot effectively with a short barrel so another advantage. My buddy just bought one. He's gonna shoot 3-4 different ammo choices this spring at my range. Looking at the ballistics of the ammo they make for it, they all look pretty good. It's just whatever your gun shoots best. I think he bought the Leupold scope that works with one particular round. It's drop data is designed around that ballistic profile. I think that a niche rifle for up close out to maybe 200 yards for deer. Sounds like it fits your niche.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts