New Build Ideas

270DT

I am getting older but think I have at least one or two more rifle projects left in me. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a long range shooter based upon my skill level and really just don't hunt any location where I would shoot beyond 300 yards so take that into consideration. My hunting consists of tree stand lounging and annual trips to South Africa for part time apprentice PH work and plains game hunting.

I have two rifles I would consider rebarreling to either another cartridge or a better version of the same. One is a post 64 Model 70 300 RUM and the other is a pre-64 model 70 in 30-06 that won't shoot for crap.

Any suggestions?

For your type of hunting/shooting, had you though about a 280 AI ? it would fit the 306 action without any action mods. it would require only a barrel change, and are fine shooters and very capable beyond 1000 yards. If set up correctly, it can accurately fire 280 Remington ammo at the same time you are fire forming the cases.

Recoil will be less and better trajectory can be expected. It can also be loaded to near/at 7 mm rem
mag performance.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

280AI does sound interesting. I wouldn't sell the pre-64 as the action is fine and should make a great platform to build on.

Between those 2 bolt faces, you have almost endless options.

6.5-284 Norma is also a nice cartridge to use in a 30-06 length action. Bolt face is the same too.

Other benefits are that it was originally designed for a short action, so you can use long for caliber bullets and still magazine feed.

Also it's always nice to know that Lapua makes brass in 6.5-284.

If you're hunting the larger antelope, wildebeest etc in Africa the 300wm is a very good choice.

Personally I've fallen in love with the 375 Ruger and will probably be using either my .338wm or one of my .300wm's that are post 64 CRF models with the claw extractor to build a longer barreled version than my 20" Ruger M-77 Alaskan.

The .264wm is also a timeless classic that is perfect for your applications and with modern barrels one would probably last you the rest of your hunting life unless you just go nuts shooting it.

Something is wrong with owning a pre 64 Win that isn't chambered in either 270w or 264wm.

For your type of hunting/shooting, had you though about a 280 AI ? it would fit the 306 action without any action mods. it would require only a barrel change, and are fine shooters and very capable beyond 1000 yards. If set up correctly, it can accurately fire 280 Remington ammo at the same time you are fire forming the cases.

Recoil will be less and better trajectory can be expected. It can also be loaded to near/at 7 mm rem
mag performance.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

+1 I agree.

Just back from Africa for plains/dangerous game,used my 300 Rum for everything that was not going to kill me
Your 300 is an excellent rifle when using heavy bullets I used 230 bergers for everything, also if you are apprentice PH it might be better to have something with a little punch like the 300
As for your other selection the 280 AI again loaded with sturdy bullets could be used or a rifle for clients in a pinch.
Seems difficult to have too much gun for the likes of Zebra,Waterbuck,Kudu and Eland.

Just back from Africa for plains/dangerous game,used my 300 Rum for everything that was not going to kill me
Your 300 is an excellent rifle when using heavy bullets I used 230 bergers for everything, also if you are apprentice PH it might be better to have something with a little punch like the 300
As for your other selection the 280 AI again loaded with sturdy bullets could be used or a rifle for clients in a pinch.
Seems difficult to have too much gun for the likes of Zebra,Waterbuck,Kudu and Eland.
You might give the Peregrine bullets a try next trip. I was extremely pleased with them on the Black WIldebeest and Kudu I took both of which were very large, very old bulls. I was shooting the VRG3 180gr and it shoots like a bigger bullet with very good accuracy.

I'd packed Remington Premier shooting the 180g Scirocco II and found it unfit with over expansion and not tracking through.

Second shot on the big black WB was with him quartering away so I put it behind the last rib and found it exactly where I'd expect in the hide on the off shoulder after otherwise passing roughly three feet through the bread basket and his shoulder. Probably had 98/99% weight retention and a perfect wound track.

Thanks for the ideas. Either the 280AI or the 6.5-284 sounds good. I have plenty of big thumpers so don't really need another one of those so those two rounds would be a perfect fit.

Also I got sidetracked talking to the guys in South Africa about the Peregrine bullets and ended up ordered about 200 of them :rolleyes:

Thanks for the ideas. Either the 280AI or the 6.5-284 sounds good. I have plenty of big thumpers so don't really need another one of those so those two rounds would be a perfect fit.

Also I got sidetracked talking to the guys in South Africa about the Peregrine bullets and ended up ordered about 200 of them :rolleyes:
They are good guys. Even their rep here in the US is originally from the RSA

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.