New build does not shoot. Need some help.

I nec

I have owned and own other 7- 7.5lb without scope 300wm and 300prc I would definitely call myself out if I couldn't shoot. I do get what you are saying.
Problem with online, you never know who you are talking to. Just trying to help. Sounds like a nice piece. Bet you get it sorted out.

I thought I might throw this out there since this is your first custom rifle. First, is this also your first rifle this powerful? The reason I ask is you said you don't think you are the problem since you could turn around and shoot 1/2" with your creed. Shooting a .300 can be very different because of the recoil. No, it doesn't look like you are flinching, but you may be holding it inconsistently. Some magnums like to be lightly held, nearly free recoil, some held tightly. This can change when shooting off bags or a bipod. Amount of preload and how consistent that is, is a big deal with a cartridge this big. You may already know all this, but if you don't play around with it, and let it tell you what it likes. Also, the bigger the cartridge the harder it is to get it to shoot either well or consistently with factory loads, and you really will not know what it is capable of without going through the process and working up a load fitted to your new rifle, and BTW it is a very nice one.
I agree.....recoil can be a culprit for a lot of rifle issues. With the recoil comes minor changes to shooting form and trigger pull, which leads to groups opening up. This takes away the confidence one may have with their new rifle, and without confidence you are prone to error. I'm not saying the original poster is flinching....but I am saying it doesn't take much at all to move the impact an inch or two. Also, the issue with the bottom metal and screws will affect barrel harmonics....so a subtle change to the nuts and bolts of the build will play out in the harmonics. I once had a world class shooter and National F class record holder talk to me for an hour about barrel harmonics.....it was so over my head I just took his word for it and learned that rifles are kinda like guitars and changes to the build affect the impact like the sound of a guitar.
I long for the days when I went on my first deer hunt with my late Dad's old model 94 30-30.....I was all of 10yrs old and when a fat doe came by me at point blank range I center punched her. She jumped, obviously hit, and watched her run off. I was sure I missed and didn't tell a soul.....only to realize later that gut shot deer don't fall over.

When tuning in a new rifle, A chronograph can be your best friend.
When you go to the range, Take a chronograph and shoot every round through it.
If the velocity is close from shot to shot, You will have to look to other problems for a cure.
Have you checked the action screw length? Make sure the screws are not bottoming out before
the action is seated and solid in the stock.
Good Luck in finding the cause and cure.

I had a "reputable" smith do the bedding and the barrel manufacture chamber and install barrel.
For what it's worth I have used a "reputable" gunsmith twice. Both times there were issues and this was two different smiths. Once the headspace was even off.
So I gave up on smiths and have learned to do it myself. I think the only person I would allow to build my gun is Dallas Lane. He has never built me one but everyone I know who has had one built has had a good experience.

For what it's worth I have used a "reputable" gunsmith twice. Both times there were issues and this was two different smiths. Once the headspace was even off.
So I gave up on smiths and have learned to do it myself. I think the only person I would allow to build my gun is Dallas Lane. He has never built me one but everyone I know who has had one built has had a good experience.
Dallas Lane is one of the better ones I know of. Not only does he build accurate rifles, but they can be down right "Purdy" too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.