New build cunundrum

Andrew Cowling

Hi all.
Those that aren't aware I am a gunsmith in Tasmania, Australia (yes we still have them here). I am building a budget 308 winchester. I recently aquired a Howa 308 winchester 26 inch heavy barrel with threaded muzzle and oversized bolt as part payment for a custom build I am building for the client.
The action is being trued, lugs lapped, bolt face trued and the scope base holes enlarged to 8x40tpi.
I am going to be using a Promag Archangel stock. The chamber will be the M852 match chamber. Barrel will also have the muzzle threaded and a brake fitted.

Now here is the issue. I have a brand new match 5 groove .307 stainless barrel blank with a finished length at 21 inches. I can profile it myself to anything. So do I stay with the near new Howa barrel and rechamber it leaving the finished length at 25 and 3/4 inches plus brake or go with the new stainless barrel? Uses would be hunting and possably prs matches. Maximum range would be 800 meters (about 875 yards). Both barrels are 1 in 10 twist.

Feed back would be great.
Cheers
Andrew

If you want speed, the 26 inch.
If you are going to be mostly hunting the 21inch, depending on weight.
If more PRS matches the 26.
It's hard to have a do it all rifle that does everything well. Sacrifices must be made. I've been trying to do the same with my build.
In the end it comes down to accepting the limitations of the rifle, weight, speed, length, glass,recoil. Whichever one you choose to sacrifice.

If you're worried about velocity and the original barrel shoots well I would rechamber it. You will probably only see a little over 100 fps difference between the two. If it doesn't shoot to your expectation the answer is clear.

I am bad about starting out with a concept for a build or project, such as budget utility rifle, and allowing 'mission creep' to change the end product so much that I end up with something completely different.

With that said, I'd go with the used barrel in the spirit of the original concept, and keep the new one for another rifle. I'd be less inclined myself to repurpose the used barrel for something else down the line, but the new barrel could be used for anything and also has better resale value.

Since this is a budget build and I have not shot prs before your input is appreciated. The originalHowa barrel is cold hammer forged and has a very nice bore to it. It should shoot well.

Is velosity a factor in PRS competions? Is a muzzle brake recommend for this style of competition?

I build a lot of long range hunting and target rifles with mostly 28" plus tubes, mostly due to a heavy pill and slow burning powder combinations.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts