New build - 6.5-06AI

+1 on the 30-06 Lapua brass, don't worry about the short brass its no problem at all. Only problem i could see potentially is a donut necking up.
Other than that its a great cartridge.
My reamer is set up to run the 140 VLD at just above the neck shoulder junction with a .296 neck chamber gotta turn these brass but thats fine for me because I wanted the best brass available.

C.O.A.L is 3.43 if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the info. Your COAL of 3.43 is right in line with Andrew Massi's calculated COAL of 3.479'ish for the 156 Berger.

I cant remember for sure its my nephews I put together for him he loves it.
Hes got all the brass and loaded rounds for it or I'd measure one for you

3.43". I run mine a touch shorter. Shoots better out of my 6.5-06AI.
00FD19C0-AE59-4BBE-8300-FE997D6A5E5D.jpeg
213E6012-86EA-48AB-8CB9-91CA3EAB5039.jpeg

Thanks for your input. I have however, decided to use new Nosler 25-06 brass. There's quite a few people who feel this is the easiest route to go based on them having this catridge. One of the most notable I talked to about this was Travis, the owner of RBros rifles. He's built many 6.5-06 AI's and he also felt using 25-06 brass was the easiest. I do have several hundred 270 cases though so if needed I can neck turn them and try them as well. One of the primary factors for me choosing this cartidge over a PRC was the fact I have alot of brass that will work as well as an old 700 30-06 action.
the easy way to go is build a 6.5-280 ackley and neck down peterson brass

Young's Gunsmithing, Tracy MT, is putting a 6.5-06 AI together for me on Pre-war Model 70 action with a 26" Bartlein barrel and McMillan stock topped with an IOR Crusader scope. We're going the 270 brass route. He's had good experience with that. Does the group have any powder preferences to offer for this build? A good friend is getting good performance from the new Berger 6.5 mm 153.5 Grain Long Range Hybrid Target bullet for both accuracy and lethal effectiveness on big game. I plan to start load development with it. Would appreciate comment. Thanks.

Getting ready to start a new build 6.5-06AI and wondering if anyone can tell me what the COAL would be using a 25-06 case with a 156 Berger Elite Hunter seated just to the case neck junction for max case capacity? Trying to understand this so I can talk to my smith intelligently about how I want this chamber throated.

Thank you for your help.
Here is my build list: 6.5-06 AI
Rem 700 long action 5 axis trued, fluted bolt, Nitride coated with Trigger Tech Special
Ag Visigoth in Carbon Blue Camo
Carbon Proof Sendero Light 8 twist finished at 24" throated for 156 Berger Elite Hunters
Hellfire self timing brake
Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18x44 MOA

Young's Gunsmithing, Tracy MT, is putting a 6.5-06 AI together for me on Pre-war Model 70 action with a 26" Bartlein barrel and McMillan stock topped with an IOR Crusader scope. We're going the 270 brass route. He's had good experience with that. Does the group have any powder preferences to offer for this build? A good friend is getting good performance from the new Berger 6.5 mm 153.5 Grain Long Range Hybrid Target bullet for both accuracy and lethal effectiveness on big game. I plan to start load development with it. Would appreciate comment. Thanks.
Since powder is nearly impossible to find these days and will probably remain so for a while I'm going to start with what I have. I've read people getting great results with RL26 but it's impossible to come by here in Utah.
H1000
H4831SC
7828SSC

Awesome, thank you!. What kind of performance are you getting with that 140? What is your load?
This is the 156 EOL. I was able to get it slightly above 3100fps with RL26 but backed off to a load at 3030fps. I'm running a Barlien 2B 26" 8 twist and haven't had any issues with stabilization. I've never ran a 140 in it. My other hunting loads are the 135 Classic Hunter and a 122 Leigh Non-lead. @ 500 yds the 156 is at 2.86" and the 135 is at 2.43" groups. Love the 6.5-06AI!

Getting ready to start a new build 6.5-06AI and wondering if anyone can tell me what the COAL would be using a 25-06 case with a 156 Berger Elite Hunter seated just to the case neck junction for max case capacity? Trying to understand this so I can talk to my smith intelligently about how I want this chamber throated.

Thank you for your help.
I am about in the same boat, but. I am building a 6mm-06 rifle. Using a 280 Rem AI case as a starting point. The case is longer from the base to start of shoulder than other cases(as in 25,270,&06 AI cases) are. Why 280 AI is longer I don't know. I am using a 700 Rem Action that was built for a 25-06, 270, or 30-06. Possible look at other 6.5 cases presently built to see what there case length is and their COAL. Substitute the new case length in. I don't know for sure if that will help. You have a wider range of bullets to choose from depending on what you are going to use. I am figuring on use 100gr+ bullets, and max out at 115gr bullets. The lighter bullets I am not really interested in presently. I am looking at ranges to about 700yds. I am going to use a Bartlein 400MODBB barrel and getting a second barrel at the same time. The COAL has me concern too, that's about all I can do without going to a Mag Action custom built. I know I don't want

This is the 156 EOL. I was able to get it slightly above 3100fps with RL26 but backed off to a load at 3030fps. I'm running a Barlien 2B 26" 8 twist and haven't had any issues with stabilization. I've never ran a 140 in it. My other hunting loads are the 135 Classic Hunter and a 122 Leigh Non-lead. @ 500 yds the 156 is at 2.86" and the 135 is at 2.43" groups. Love the 6.5-06AI!
Awesome news. I think that 3.43 should work in a stnd Rem 700 long action BDL mag box, I hope? I'm having a very hard time finding the spec dimensions for a stnd Rem 700 long action mag box but I'm thinking anything under 3.5 should be fine?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.