New build 6.5/06

Lab rat

So 10 years ago I built my first custom gun it was a 260 Remington and from day one I fell in love with the 26 caliber shooting the 129 sst every deer I pointed it at it dispatched them quick and humanly from distances of 50 yds to 300yds then Hornady came out with the 143 ELD X so I wanted to build a gun around that bullet with the idea of keeping the reloading simple so I decided to build a 6.5/06 and boy am I glad I did after testing different powders I've settled on RL-26 with the 143 ELD X and Fed 215 primers with a velocity of 3000 fps if someone was to ask me of all the guns I have to chose 1 what would it be it is definitely the 6.5/06 anyone looking to building a custom deer gun
Please take a good look at this Cartridge. Action. Remington 700 DM (Blue Printed)
Barrel. 26" Lilja
Trigger. Timiny
Stock. Bell & Carlson

Attachments

• IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0656.PNG
    IMG_0656.PNG
    575.5 KB · Views: 192
Good shooting rifle you have there! I agree with you. I have a 6.5-06 that I have been shooting for a while now and I love it. Accurate, easy to load, and decent velocities.

Great looking rifle and shooting.

I have been wanting to build a 6.5/06 since about 2003 when I read about it while working in a gun shop. One day I will do it. I am just starting the journey of my first "custom" or at least "semi-custom" rifle. Once I see how this turns out I may have to start planning the next. That could quite possibly be a 6.5/06 for sure. My dad taught me to love 6.5 caliber year ago with his love for 6.5x55.

Definitely ain't no flies on that! Nice shooting. I think I've wanted a 6.5/06 or a 6.5/06 AI off and on for the last 30 years. Currently running a 6.5-284 Norma and I have a little history with the .260 Rem. but there's something about that "aught 6" case, just a itch that's got to be scratched someday. Thanks for sharing.

Mine is a 6.5-06AI using a 22" heavy/flutes Krieger 1-8 match barrel on an Interarms Mark X action. I size .25-06 vreass and fireform with a Horandy full power 140g/H4831 6.5-06 load. I lose about 5% velocity with the fireform loads, but they are extremely accurate so I don't care.

These days I would probably go 6.5PRC for a hunting rifle.

Gents, I have been reading a bunch and been looking at building a 6.5-06. Was thinking of a bartlein CFW barrel, kelbley action and graycoe stock. How has this round been working for you? Looking for a nice fun to shoot deer rifle

Gents, I have been reading a bunch and been looking at building a 6.5-06. Was thinking of a bartlein CFW barrel, kelbley action and graycoe stock. How has this round been working for you? Looking for a nice fun to shoot deer rifle
I can tell you I like mine so far and it's a shooter

Mine is a 6.5-06AI using a 22" heavy/flutes Krieger 1-8 match barrel on an Interarms Mark X action. I size .25-06 vreass and fireform with a Horandy full power 140g/H4831 6.5-06 load. I lose about 5% velocity with the fireform loads, but they are extremely accurate so I don't care.

These days I would probably go 6.5PRC for a hunting rifle.
What velocities are you seeing with the AI?

Lot of fond memories with a 6.5-06. Back in the day my favorite load was RL22 and a 140 vld. The RL26 was tested as the barrel neared the end of its life. It worked well. In a 23-24" barrel 2900-2950 was pretty easy. I rebarreled to 6.5-284 and its been easy to shoot as well. I like the velocity band for both cartridges and performance on game is excellent.

I necked down 270 Win, trimmed to length, loaded RL22 behind a 140 vld and killed all manner of stuff with my standard 6.5-06 and a 24" barrel. If any issues at all with the 143 eld, I'd happily jump into the 140 vld camp on yours. Nice thing about the 6.5-06 is that it just feeds so great as well. Currently rebarreled to 6.5-284 and its quite similar other than nice to have 6.5-284 Lapua brass to easily use.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.