New Build 28 Nosler

bayoushooter96

Budget of about $1000 for the rifle only, can I build a rifle, or would it be better to buy one built. I have done some research and priced some actions that are out of my price range completely. Also, if I went with build what parts would I need? Barrel, action, trigger and stock? Or am I missing something. Extremely new to building a rifle if you can't tell. Thanks in advance

Are you doing the work yourself? Or does that budget need to include gunsmith labor also? Either way, that money won't get you far in today's market, IMHO.

I don't think you can start from scratch and even think about touching a custom.
Even if you buy an action from a pawn shop. I would be looking at a lightly used higher end factory rifle. Even then, don't expect a high end factory rifle for $1k.

Maybe try and find a Savage action, get a cheaper pre-fit barrel/barrel nut, cheaper composite stock, and do a trigger tune up.

$1k, maybe not?

Used Savage magnum donor rifle. Look for an Accu Trigger model.

Prefit Excaliber barrel, catch them on a sale.

Brake, new barrel nut with flats.

Doing the work yourself with a rental set of go-no go, gauges (or a case with tape in end), a shop press, wood blocks and simple hand tools, will get you there, but you're going to be over $1000.

Budget of about $1000 for the rifle only, can I build a rifle, or would it be better to buy one built. I have done some research and priced some actions that are out of my price range completely. Also, if I went with build what parts would I need? Barrel, action, trigger and stock? Or am I missing something. Extremely new to building a rifle if you can't tell. Thanks in advance
I don't think you can do this in todays world for 1000 unless you compromised or found some insane great deals or free. My son and I looked as we wanted matching rifles starting elk season (oct 2020) and it was not in the cards. I even found a donor (top bolt release) older long action 110 in 7MM RM. I paid $300 for it. The first thing we noticed was the very low number of available stocks for a Savage, and we kept at it looking to go with a pre-chambered barrel and fit it ourselves. The next thing was the limiting factor of the magazine length, so that would cost us to have the action machined or give up OAL. I give a rip about super long bullets, and wanted adjustability to find the best shooting bullet. Then for us add barrel, (Pre chambered, threaded), trigger, tools (barrel vice, action, barrel nut etc.), stock (not the one we wanted), muzzle brake (not required) we were well past 2K. So, because we could not get the chambering we wanted without paying for it extra, the stock we wanted lets go with a Rem 700. Yep it only raised the price another $700, so we went custom and got exactly what we wanted and will pay a lot more for it. While we were doing this I finally had my Savage UL in 28N arrive and I finished up the loading for it and it shoots 160AB's into .5" at 3350fps with a TI muzzle brake and a 2.5lb crisp trigger.....ready....out the door for right about $1600.

I put together one during the COVID work from home. No where near custom or gunsmith pretty, but it shoots and I put the BA together in my garage. Tall order for what you are asking.

Savage Flat Back for $250
Lightly used X-Caliber barrel chambered in 6.5x284 Norma $200
McMillan Game Warden $750 (had to send them BA to fit to stock) With a different stock you could be well under, but I wanted a good stock and McMillan actually answers their phone.

Recent Posts