New build 264 Win Mag vs 6.5/257 Weatherby

WOW, Very Impressive!!! Id say you are ready to take any animal that you decide you want to take. By the way regarding your discussion of Necking up a 257 Weatherby to 6.5mm, in a pinch you could Neck down a .270 Weatherby Mag case to 6.5mm , if you needed too. It's the same case as the 257 Weatherby Mag. You probably already knew that!!
Yep the 257, 270 & 7mm weatherby all share the same case. I usually prefer necking up rather than down. If seen concentric it's issues with necking down, but not necking up with a mandrel.

Forget .264,overbore and burns out barrels. Go with 6.5 PRC...
better ballistics, more factory ammo choices, and much longer
barrel life!
Doc D
The 264win mag is better than 6.5 PRC any day, any time, any place,

i had 2 264 win mag customs with mauser 98 actions and 26" and 27" barrels with 140grs factory winchester 3179 fps average 20 shots and with reloads 140grs 3200fps easy with 7828 and h1000,

My 6.5 Saum shoots 3150 with 147 eldms. Its all I need. My 6.5x257wby is only a little over 100 fps faster. Both have 26 inch barrels. I probably wont build any more 264 win mahs or 6.5x257. Not worth the extra powder burn and barrel life. I will stick with the Saum for my hunting. Might do a 1000 yard gun in 6.5 PRC because the lapua brass.
Shep

My 6.5 Saum shoots 3150 with 147 eldms. Its all I need. My 6.5x257wby is only a little over 100 fps faster. Both have 26 inch barrels. I probably wont build any more 264 win mahs or 6.5x257. Not worth the extra powder burn and barrel life. I will stick with the Saum for my hunting. Might do a 1000 yard gun in 6.5 PRC because the lapua brass.
Shep
That's pretty impressive for a SAUM with 147s.
I have an improved version of a 6.5 SAUM that shoots 130 Terminal Ascents at 3250 with a mild load of H1000 with a 21" barrel.

Mike D

Sorry for repeating if I do. I didn't read through the thread.

I once paid an extra $20 to get the Weatherby shape on a reamer. For me it is a no brainer; go with the big W.

Rl26 can put down some impressive velocities in the right cartridges. Slightly overbore with heavy bullets RL26 shines.
E9F7A15D-7ECC-44DF-908B-220BAFDEE2FB.jpeg

I'm working on a new build and I'm torn between these two cartridge options.
On one hand I'm trying to stay with more traditional cartridges but 264 WM isn't exactly mainstream.
I already have both brass and dies for 257 Wby and 264 WM so that's not a deciding factor.
I do prefer the longer neck of the Weatherby case, especially since this will be set up for the 156 EOL bullets and I like the Venturi style
neck of the Weatherby case; I think there are merits to the design. The Weatherby case has 1.6 grains more water capacity. Not sure what that translates into for powder, but likely not enough to matter.
On the other hand the Weatherby is definitely not mainstream and would definitely be a reload only option which for me isn't a problem but may be for others if for some reason I had to sell down the road.
I dunno, I know which way I'm leaning but just looking for feedback from others who have experience with decisions like this or with either of the cartridges mentioned.

Build parts specifics:
Kelbly Atlas Tactical
Proof 28" Sendero, 8 twist
AG Composites Visigoth
Hawkins DBM
Trigger Tech Diamond
7X61mm Sharpe & Hart Brass is still available, so the 6.5x61 Super is a valid contender.

With the new high bc 257 bullets available just the 257wby is a real viable long range option now. I have 3 of them but none with the fast twist. That is about to change. Cant have too many right.

Please don't overlook a favorite wildcat creation, the .257 Condor.

From another post elsewhere:

The .257 Weatherby is an obvious choice because factory ammunition is available and so are the cases. When the Blackbirds first appeared, this was my first choice although the .25-06 AI pushed real hard to be my first attempt. Now though I don't have such limits since I use these heavies (131, 133, 135) in quite few of the .25 caliber cases without modifications or in several modified cases (284, Creedmoor, Savage, WSM, RSAUM, etc.) But the light shining through all the testing managed to bring back an outstanding former wildcat case from Dr. Somavia, the .257 Condor, made from the 7x61 Sharpe and Hart.

Why?

Great case capacity without being too much.
High quality cases (Norma).
Factory improved shoulder at 40 degrees.
Mild case taper for easy extraction.
Shorter than the standard belted magnum case allowing the heavy bullets to be seated out.
No distorted claims of ultra-high speed.
Good balance between powder choices and performance.

How fast?

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,250+ fps. with 4 different powders.
1,000+ ft/lbs of energy at 1,000 yards. (not suggested, just for comparison)

1680698216280.png

Link to the original story published in 1960:

https://www.cartridgecollector.net/257-condor

7x61 Super Sharpe and Hart brass is still available through Norma and is on sale currently. The 7x61 is an outstanding case all by itself so it makes a great 7mm hunting rifle on its own.

7x61mm%20S&H2.gif

Enjoy!

:)

Yep the 257, 270 & 7mm weatherby all share the same case. I usually prefer necking up rather than down. If seen concentric it's issues with necking down, but not necking up with a mandrel.
Just playing around with Wildcats I often used the weatherby dies to form brass and then Neck back up to remove the venturi shoulder/neck junction. I wonder if that fixes the concentric issues you speak of? It sure makes for a good looking improved case. (fond memories is affordable expendable brass)