New build 264 Win Mag vs 6.5/257 Weatherby

Sir, to make this simple, the 264 for a hand loader is the way to go. Brass is plentyful. You can neck down 7mm, 338 to 6.5 and load away. Also make sure your twist is 8 or faster or your 156 bullets may not stabalize. This is from experience.

Nice. How did you come up with .240 to be the dimension needed? I was going to specify a .205 throat. I'm not sure that's the magic #, I just wanted longer than SAAMI.

Thanks for all your input.
Two ways to do this. Seat your desired bullet into the case so that the shank/boat tail juncture is level with the bottom of the case neck/shoulder juncture, mark the bullet with a sharpie and then stick it in the muzzle and turn it slowly. This will leave a calibre size ring around the bullet circumference that you can then measure.
Or make up 3 dummy rounds with the bullets seated as above and your smith will do the rest.

Cheers

Two ways to do this. Seat your desired bullet into the case so that the shank/boat tail juncture is level with the bottom of the case neck/shoulder juncture, mark the bullet with a sharpie and then stick it in the muzzle and turn it slowly. This will leave a calibre size ring around the bullet circumference that you can then measure.
Or make up 3 dummy rounds with the bullets seated as above and your smith will do the rest.

Cheers
Already have the 3 dummy rounds ready to go.
👍

Attachments

• EDB424A9-0C23-424C-A589-E57DBDEEB930.jpeg
    EDB424A9-0C23-424C-A589-E57DBDEEB930.jpeg
    866.8 KB · Views: 102
I have a 257 WBY that I took to RSA this past spring. I just got my 264 Win Mag last week (I waffled on deciding what to build for months) and did the break in yesterday. Needless to say the 264 WM is more than likely going to RSA next year along with 338 WM. But in the end it's your choice, so go with what your heart is telling you.

Nice, that will fit nicely in an long action box mag. So are you thinking with a custom throat for the 156 Berger's it would still be good to go with the 140-147gr. Bullets?

Nice, that will fit nicely in an long action box mag. So are you thinking with a custom throat for the 156 Berger's it would still be good to go with the 140-147gr. Bullets?
Yeah I have MDT mags and have about .015 to play with.
I really don't know how it will play with 140 or 144 Bergers. I've not found them to be as sensitive as I was originally led to believe. I have a factory R700 5R Milspec that has a cavernous throat (3.005 to the lands with 175 VLDs) and I was previously Mag limited to 2.870. But the thing would shoot 1/2 MOA regularly and run those bullets at 2800fps from a 20" barrel.
I had a Wyatt's DBM on it but it's being inletted for a Grayboe AICS DBM and I'll be using Accurate Mags which will allow me to seat out to 2.930 +/-. Not sure if I'll gain anything other than powder space but those Wyatt's single stack mags were a PITA to deal with.

I'm working on a new build and I'm torn between these two cartridge options.
On one hand I'm trying to stay with more traditional cartridges but 264 WM isn't exactly mainstream.
I already have both brass and dies for 257 Wby and 264 WM so that's not a deciding factor.
I do prefer the longer neck of the Weatherby case, especially since this will be set up for the 156 EOL bullets and I like the Venturi style
neck of the Weatherby case; I think there are merits to the design. The Weatherby case has 1.6 grains more water capacity. Not sure what that translates into for powder, but likely not enough to matter.
On the other hand the Weatherby is definitely not mainstream and would definitely be a reload only option which for me isn't a problem but may be for others if for some reason I had to sell down the road.
I dunno, I know which way I'm leaning but just looking for feedback from others who have experience with decisions like this or with either of the cartridges mentioned.

Build parts specifics:
Kelbly Atlas Tactical
Proof 28" Sendero, 8 twist
AG Composites Visigoth
Hawkins DBM
Trigger Tech

off hand, go 264. There's less modification and dies are already available
The components are all the same and there is no real advantage of one over the other. The 264 is just seated out a bit. It keeps it simple.

I'm working on a new build and I'm torn between these two cartridge options.
On one hand I'm trying to stay with more traditional cartridges but 264 WM isn't exactly mainstream.
I already have both brass and dies for 257 Wby and 264 WM so that's not a deciding factor.
I do prefer the longer neck of the Weatherby case, especially since this will be set up for the 156 EOL bullets and I like the Venturi style
neck of the Weatherby case; I think there are merits to the design. The Weatherby case has 1.6 grains more water capacity. Not sure what that translates into for powder, but likely not enough to matter.
On the other hand the Weatherby is definitely not mainstream and would definitely be a reload only option which for me isn't a problem but may be for others if for some reason I had to sell down the road.
I dunno, I know which way I'm leaning but just looking for feedback from others who have experience with decisions like this or with either of the cartridges mentioned.

Build parts specifics:
Kelbly Atlas Tactical
Proof 28" Sendero, 8 twist
AG Composites Visigoth
Hawkins DBM
Trigger Tech Diamond
While either will work, I lean toward the 264 Mag having built mine years ago. I would suggest a couple of changes a 28" barrel with a 1:7.5 twist may be the ticket for 156 grain pills and I have a real interest in the 160 Matrix bullets. If you want a 6.5 Wby how about the 300-6.5 or the one I like is the 6.5 RPM.

I have more guns in my safe than I'll ever shoot out. I'm at the age where practicality comes into play more than not. My son is into guns and will get most of my odd ball collection of stuff but so far he hasn't shown an interest in reloading so I don't know how that will end up.
Sounds very familiar to me ...
🙄

While either will work, I lean toward the 264 Mag having built mine years ago. I would suggest a couple of changes a 28" barrel with a 1:7.5 twist may be the ticket for 156 grain pills and I have a real interest in the 160 Matrix bullets. If you want a 6.5 Wby how about the 300-6.5 or the one I like is the 6.5 RPM.
I already have the barrel. It's a 28" Proof 8 twist. I've had it for a few years and other projects took precedent.

I considered the RPM but feel like it's too new to determine it's long term availability.

Recent Posts