New brass

SHEDKING

Ok so my question is do you resize new brass? When I got my 338 lapua last year I bought factory ammo to do break in on the barrel and I have been using that brass since. The other day I picked up 200 new pieces of brass for a great deal. I know on the box it says fully prepped brass but was curious how some of you guys do it!!? Thanks TO resize or not?

New brass nothing but expander mandrel run through the neck.....took three before it settled in.

1653570351697.png

The other day I picked up 200 new pieces of brass for a great deal. I know on the box it says fully prepped brass but was curious how some of you guys do it!!? Thanks TO resize or not?

That term 'fully prepped' can be slippery to use or read when written by advertising writers.

In my findings from starting new brass for dozens of cartridges, I have found that generically, the term 'fully prepped' has nothing to do with the sizing process but rather the primer hole, primer pocket, case OAL and neck chamfer. Besides, after checking the condition of most brass after shipping, the cases generally require some attention due to dented necks. This usually doesn't occur with brass shipped in those plastic cases...

For the sake of consistency, I will full length resize every piece of new brass. I do remove the expander ball for resizing then use a mandrel for the neck sizing. This makes sure I get the opportunity to examine every piece before loading for the first time. Maybe this seems to be a little overcautious but the process works for me and my peace of mind.

:)

For the first firing all I do is run an expanding mandrel through the necks to ensure proper tension after fire forming then they get full resized
I will just reading about Wilson mandrel die and that's what they recommend appropriate the advice. Thanks

That term 'fully prepped' can be slippery to use or read when written by advertising writers.

In my findings from starting new brass for dozens of cartridges, I have found that generically, the term 'fully prepped' has nothing to do with the sizing process but rather the primer hole, primer pocket, case OAL and neck chamfer. Besides, after checking the condition of most brass after shipping, the cases generally require some attention due to dented necks. This usually doesn't occur with brass shipped in those plastic cases...

For the sake of consistency, I will full length resize every piece of new brass. I do remove the expander ball for resizing then use a mandrel for the neck sizing. This makes sure I get the opportunity to examine every piece before loading for the first time. Maybe this seems to be a little overcautious but the process works for me and my peace of mind.

:)
Ok what mandrel die would you recommend I was looking at Wilson but they only offer one size. I try to have .002 neck tension with all my brass.