New brass

bstomper

I switch to a the eldm 140 for my creedmoor because I can't find anymore 147's. I thought it would be a good time to get new brass also because the brass I have now has several firings on it. I'm going from hornady to starline. My question is can I do load development with new brass or do I have to waste bullets and powder to once fire my brass

I have some powder I do not use for actual loads but do use for fire forming with a mild charge. I also have bullets for the same purpose, which saves my "good" powder and bullets for my actual loads- or you could do the COW method and not use any bullets. You will need to fire form though- some say as many as 2 times to get new brass to a place where it won't keep growing on you and be consistent from load to load. You could skip and just load it new to save on your components, but you'll notice (more than likely) a change in velocities from firing 1 to firing 3 and may have to tweak your load with each firing anyway.

How many pieces of brass? If you have a couple hundred, find a load that shoots in the unfired brass and use it. Tweak it with the first 50 cases once you've shot them all and shoot through them again. If you only have 50, you should be able to cycle them all through multiple times during your load workup, they'll stabilize about the time you figure out where you want to be.

You'll be wasting powder & bullets with a brass change whether chasing your tail or following solid plan.
But tail chasing is never easier.

Better plan: stop changing things

How many pieces of brass? If you have a couple hundred, find a load that shoots in the unfired brass and use it. Tweak it with the first 50 cases once you've shot them all and shoot through them again. If you only have 50, you should be able to cycle them all through multiple times during your load workup, they'll stabilize about the time you figure out where you want to be.
I have 200 of them so this sound like the best plan. Once I get the them all once fired I can adjust where I need. Thanks

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.