New Brass Problem

brush_buster

I've been reloading for a number of years and just encountered a problem I've never experienced before. I was reloading for my 6.5 creedmoor and opened a new box of Hornady brass. Trimmed and chamfered it but did not resize it. The seater die would not close completely. I tried a once fired case and the die worked perfectly.

I've been inconsistent over the years and not always resized new brass but this is the first time I've encountered this problem.

How many of you resize your new brass and have any of you experienced this problem?

I always fully process most new brass before the first loading. Some higher end brass may not require it, but consistency is the name of the game for accuracy. For Hornady brass, I ALWAYS process it as if it had been fired. Just the way they ship it, in a bag or box, almost guarantees that some of the necks may get dinged. Just my $.02

The only way your not getting your ram to not cam over on a seating die is the following.
1.) case is too long or the seating die is screwed in too far
and
2.) case is made out of something super strong or you are very weak

Normally you'll just crush the case down or start the crimp.
What do you mean "the seater die would not close"?
I am confused by both comments. Why would you want cam over on a seater die? (Sizing die yes.) My RCBS instructions say to put a primed shell into the holder, run it to the top of the press stroke. Screw the seater die into the press until it just touches the mouth of the case AND THEN back the seater die off one full turn so that there is about 1/16" between the bottom of the die and the shell holder. Are Creedmoor dies designed to operate different than RCBS dies?

I've got a single stage RCBS supreme press.

For seating bullets, I just use the same motion as when resizing and crimping (lee factory crimp die). The handle is completely down and hard stops on the press frame - the press is technically "cammed over". Ie. the top of the press stroke is same as camover, you just don't "feel" the cam over like you do when resizing or using the Lee factory crimp die.

Here is the procedure I use.
- Partially thread seating die into press.
- Fully stroke ram (with trimmed case inserted) in until it stops in bottomed out "camover" position (aka full ram up).
- Gently screw in the seating die until it stops on the top of the case mouth, and then back off 1 full turn.
-Tighten large lock nut on die and tighten grub screw.
- Adjust seating stem screw / micro-adjust knob for desired bullet seating depth.

If you don't go to the presses hard stop when seating bullets, you possibly might not stroke the ram far enough, leaving the bullet seated too shallow.

I've being doing it this way successfully for years with RCBS, Hornady, and Redding when initially setting up my seating dies (no crimp).

Back to the OP's original question. Maybe the case neck wasn't round, and this interfered with the case being inserted into the seating die properly. However, with even minimal handle force you should have seen damage on the case neck or shoulder.

Last edited:
I've got a single stage RCBS supreme press.
OK, gotcha. I use a progressive Dillon Press and the sizing die, when properly set, creates the cam over effect. So when I am setting the sizer die at the top of the stroke the press is in a cam over. Different strokes for different folks but we are talking the same.
The OP needs to provide more info relative to the term "The seater die would not close completely"

I've been reloading for a number of years and just encountered a problem I've never experienced before. I was reloading for my 6.5 creedmoor and opened a new box of Hornady brass. Trimmed and chamfered it but did not resize it. The seater die would not close completely. I tried a once fired case and the die worked perfectly.

I've been inconsistent over the years and not always resized new brass but this is the first time I've encountered this problem.

How many of you resize your new brass and have any of you experienced this problem?
I'm bettin' you need to open up the necks a bit. I have an involved system for processing new brass that I won't get into. But, one step is to just neck size using a titanium bushing die with expander. Takes the "shipping wrinkles" out of the case neck.

I guess I should have said something like the seating die would stop before completing its full cycle resulting in the projectiles not being seated. Sorry

As I stated, using the same seating die on a once shot piece of brass the die worked perfectly. Afterward I resized the new brass and the problem was eliminated.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

I was taught to always process new brass for safety and consistency. After 25 years, I still do and have never encountered that problem.
if I drop a pice of brass after sizing and the neck looks dinged, I send it through the neck sizing die.

I use Lapua Brass, but I always go through the same process with new brass as I do with fired brass which includes resizing

For new brass I run an expander ball through the neck to make sure it's round. Then chamfer the necks and deburr the flash holes. Then load. I don't bother sizing it unless it doesn't fit in the chamber. Which I have never experienced with new brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.