New bipod being developed.

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Here is an email exchange between me and the developer. Start at the bottom.

Snipers_Choice_3.jpg

Here is a link to a description of the bipod.
http://www.tactilite.com/mike-s-blog/

Len,

I'm working on scaling it down for the traditional hunting rifle and AR style black guns. The design of being under slung and having the canting lock will not change. It will still look pretty cool but be in a much smaller package with lots of options, and affordable. The best part of all it will be made in the USA.

If it is possible, I am not the most computer literate type of person, what does a posted link do? You can stop laughing now, I will gladly accept all the help you are offering to get this idea out in to the hunting community. Thank You

David Kohnow
267-229-2740
lraccuracy.com (WEBSITE COMING SOON)
Snipers Choice Bipod

In a message dated 1/16/2010 4:52:40 A.M. Central Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

David

That's a pretty cool looking bipod. It looks like its only for a tactical rifle?

I can't say I've ever thought about one of my rifles being top heavy because of the swivel style of bipod, however.

When you are ready I'd be happy to post a link in a thread for you.

--
Len Backus
Publisher
www.LongRangeHunting.com
Online Magazine & Forum

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm writing to inform the long range hunting community that there is a new type of bi pod coming out on the market. Check out the Zel Custom web site, go under media and then click on Mikes Blog. Tell me what you think .I love to hunt at distances beyond 500 yards an didn't like the high center of gravity most Bi Pods gave you, especially the ones with the canting feature. It made the rifle feel top heavy, so I went and built my own. Tell me what you think, I'm looking for all kinds of feed back.
>
> Thanks
> David K
> lraccuracy.com
> Snipers Choice Bipod

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we want to rest the barrel of a hunting rifle on the bi-pod. Do we?

Steve

I'm not crazy about it wrapping around the barrel but maybe on the big 50 barrel and a certain setup it works. I'd need to know a whole lot more on the subject and be convinced if they're saying wrap it around your typical hunting rig.

Having the point of rotation above the barrel is a very good design (if I do say so myself :D ) Having the feet wide apart is also helpful. It not only produces a more stable platform but also resists the forces of bullet rotation. Competition F-class bipods are designed that way.

Non adjustable legs is a problem for a hunter. Legs must adjust quickly.

Hey guys, let me answer a few questions for Dave while he prepares for this year's SHOT Show. The bipod doesn't contact the barrel. The bipod housing is attached to a spindle-trunion assembly which in turn attaches to the forearm of the rifle.lightbulb It utilizes a cantilever system that allows the bipod to be out in front of the forearm grip of the rifle. What you are looking at is the full-blown tactical version. gun)

Well that make sense. Now that I know it's not in contact with the barrel I'm all ears and look forward to viewing the hunter version.

Very interesting. I'm a sucker for new gadgets.
I just got a Rock SOPMOD this year and sure like the 'claw' feet better than the std. Harris rubber feet for hunting out west.
Keep us posted ;-)

Yotefever, I was looking at the Rock SOPMOD with what I think they called the Raptor feet. Looks like a great foot for cripping anything except a hard surface like a bench but not sure....Any thoughts or experience using them on a bench or such?

I guess we have to wait and see how the hunter version is designed and produced to be able to comment on them. Just my thoughts.

Yotefever, I was looking at the Rock SOPMOD with what I think they called the Raptor feet. Looks like a great foot for cripping anything except a hard surface like a bench but not sure....Any thoughts or experience using them on a bench or such?

That's what I have and on a wood bench they work ok but are hard on the wood. If we had all concrete I would bring a piece of wood to put under them or a rubber matt or ?.
I sure loved them in WY this year, easy to adj the length when I shot my mule deer on the side of a hill and they stayed put without sinking into the sandy soil

I like your idea of a rubber mat...makes sense and this way I could have the advantage on soft surfaces as well as being able to use them on the bench. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.