New Binoculars <1000

Mike J

Thanks for taking time to read. I'm looking to buy binoculars and don't have a lot of experience. Looking to elk hunt in Wyoming when I draw and deer hunt in Oklahoma. I've had good luck with Leupold customer service. I can spend 1000 but would like to go less. I've heard Tract makes good glass. In any case, I'm looking for advice on what to buy. If I need to spend a little more I might be willing.

I have a set of Leupold BX5 15x56 brand new in the box binoculars that I'm not going to be using... They were over $1,400 and I'm looking for $960, have the sale going on in the optics for sale classified

Is this one of the purchases where there's a sweet spot? I have pretty good glass on scopes and a solid spotting glass - if I should wait until I hit X dollars I'd rather do that.

Thanks for taking time to read. I'm looking to buy binoculars and don't have a lot of experience. Looking to elk hunt in Wyoming when I draw and deer hunt in Oklahoma. I've had good luck with Leupold customer service. I can spend 1000 but would like to go less. I've heard Tract makes good glass. In any case, I'm looking for advice on what to buy. If I need to spend a little more I might be willing.
I've used various 15s and 12s on tripods doing western hunting. You sound like someone that needs a piece of glass with flexibility. For your price range I'd look at the following:

Vortex Razor 12x50 - light bright and great warranty, right on your cost limit
Leupold BX5 12x50 - light bright and great warranty, right on your cost limit
Leupold BX4 12x50 - light bright and great warranty, lower $
Meopta MeoStar B1 Plus 12x50 HD - from sports optics they are on the high end with the 16% off
Tract 12.5x50 - Great price has good reviews, haven't used these but they look very good

Get a stable tripod with a fluid head and a solid bino adapter and you'll be in business. The 12x50 is a great compromise in power and weight. You can use them on a tripod or hand hold them.

You have plenty of excellent options to include Leupold. I have their BX4 10x42 HD and very pleased with for the 3 years. It is best to "actually" try it for yourself when possible. We all have different visual quality. Doug (@gr8fuldoug ) can definitely set you up for what you need.

ADDED: For your consideration >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/vortex-fury-hd-5000-range-finding-binoculars.251571/, this might not last long.

Last edited:
I can second trusting Doug. I had fantastic customer service from him with my first purchase from them. Bought a Lieca scope and needed some service after the fact. Doug was super easy to work with and dealt with it as swiftly as one could during shutdown.

I have a set of Leupold BX5 15x56 brand new in the box binoculars that I'm not going to be using... They were over $1,400 and I'm looking for $960, have the sale going on in the optics for sale classified
Do you still have them for sale? I'm new to the site and wasn't able to find them in classifieds..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts