New base and rings help please?

RangerBrad

My new G7 scope should be here in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to get everything ready for it. It will be mounted on Marlin MR7 25-06 that takes a Winchester 70 type base. I would like a picatinny base and good ( weaver base I guess)rings with quick detach. Can yal suggest a brand and dealer that may work best? Thank's, Brad

My new G7 scope should be here in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to get everything ready for it. It will be mounted on Marlin MR7 25-06 that takes a Winchester 70 type base. I would like a picatinny base and good ( weaver base I guess)rings with quick detach. Can yal suggest a brand and dealer that may work best? Thank's, Brad
I really like the leupold QD rings. A couple of my freinds shoot them with zero problems.

I went with the TPS rings though with the single nut on my AR. I don't plan on needing to swap a scope from one rig to another any faster than I can with them.

It took me all of about 10 minutes to get my scope dead right and cant free and that included lapping the rings.

I set the bottom halves on the rail loosely. Used the lapping bar to allign them and then tightened them down. Did a light and I do mean very light lapping and just dropped the scope in.

Worked slick as a whistle for me.

I like the idea of changing scopes on this rifle to go between open ground deer hunting and up close coyote hunting. For the G& scope am I going to need a 20 moa base (Not even sure what that means)? With the winchester 70 base and #5 contour krieger barrel what should I get for rings (high, med, low)? What about the night force base and rings? All advice is appreciated. Thank's, Brad

I like the idea of changing scopes on this rifle to go between open ground deer hunting and up close coyote hunting. For the G& scope am I going to need a 20 moa base (Not even sure what that means)? With the winchester 70 base and #5 contour krieger barrel what should I get for rings (high, med, low)? What about the night force base and rings? All advice is appreciated. Thank's, Brad
Brad when they talk about a 5,1015-20 MOA base they are talking about a base that slopes from rear to front. It gives you an extra X amount of extra elevation for extreme ranges.

10 MOA is enough for most practical shooting. If you were setting a rig up for beyond a thousand specifically then the 20-30moa bases make a lot of sense.

For the money it's really hard to beat the EGW bases so give them a look.

Thank's Wildrose, Thought maybe with the trajectory of the 25-06 I might need the 20moa base to exend the range on my BDC turret to reach 1000yds but, also with changing over to close range for predators it might not be a good idea? With the egw bases what ring height do you think I should look for? Thank's, Brad

Looking through my Midway catalog I find a huge diffrents in price between make and material. Do yal recommend aluminum or steel? There also is a diffrence on weaver or picatiny style rings. I thought they were interchangeable and would fit either one. What are yals thoughts? This is my first build and do to the lack of knowledgable dealers in my area and distibutors(PICK ONE AND GIVE ME YOUR MONEYKIND OF FOLKS) I am on my own with the exception of yal and need all the help I can get.

Knowing it is a 25-06, #5 contour barrel, G7 scope and wanting to shoot 1000yds(my personal goal) what are the base, rings and ring height that yal would want? And do the higher quality rings require lapping also? Thank's, Brad

Last edited:
I got a zos 40*60 rifle scope a couple of months ago. Work great and low price.
Just google "WelcomeGet Sporting goods" I know the site from google search

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.