New barrel velocity decreasing

whirlwindjml

I have 28 or so rounds down the pipe in a factory 6.5prc savage tactical. First couple shots hovered 2950....by the end of those first 12 shots it was 2922 (magneto speed)57.7 h1000

Pressure wasnt a problem at all so i bumped to 58.4 first 2 were back up to 2950. By the time i was finished with 16 rounds (pre filled at home/bullets seated at range) the gun had stepped down and hoovered at 2895ish.

I am seated very close to the lands. i have usually had bullets speed up as barrels get shot for the first while. So is this slow down mabey from the throat being worn in and reducing the pressure a bit?
20200408_223152.jpg

Its shooting great with no indication of pressure yet. The last slower groups were 1/2 moa ish but now i gotta get another bump in pixie dust to get it tword the 2950 im hopeing for.

Some factory savage barrels are pretty rough inside, that's not to say they don't shoot good, some shoot amazing. If it is fouling more than norm you could be experiencing the barrel tightening up so to speak. A good cleaning would reveal this, try to get the barrel free of jacket, copper, and lead fouling good and then see what happen's with velocity. It doesn't take many shots to foul a rough bore, some factory barrels need to be cleaned after 10-20 shot's, I have a savage 308 tactical barrel that shoots sub 1/2 MOA but fouls horribly and needs to be cleaned frequently although with rounds down the tube count slowly building as time goes by it's not as bad as it first was.

Easy enough to check, just use a bore brush and some good copper solvent and than clean well with patches until they they come out clean. I also have 2 savage SS varmint barrel's that while not as bad as my tactical barrel also require more frequent cleaning, both will shoot 1/4MOA or even better.

My three match barrels not made by savage don't have any problem shooting 40-50 round's without cleaning and when I do, they clean with about 1/3 the effort and patches. Just an idea from one who shoot's with some savage factory barrel's as well as hand lapped custom's.

Hi. I shoot slow. So barrels not heated. Its also a heavy barrel.

Cleaned before shooting. After 5 Then sweets 7.62 thorough at 12 rounds. Ill clean it again i guess and give it another go.

Thanks

I don't have the answers for you, but I can attest to Savage roughness. Now mind you...I bought my first savage rifle few months back. High Country 110 model 300WM. That thing came from the factory dirty as all get out. On top of that the patches came out dripping blue. Makes me wonder just how many rounds they test fire! Anyway, since the gun has been in my possession, with 175 or so rounds through it, it doesn't bleed blue anymore.

The chamber, oh boy. Concentric rings throughout and gives my brass rings too. Had to dremel a couple cases to confirm the lower case head rings weren't case head separation. If the **** thing wasn't so cool looking and shooting so good I'd sell it off. Probably won't be buying another Savage. Had magazine problems on top. Remedied by spreading the magazine feed lips out with a pair of needle nose...

I don't have the answers for you, but I can attest to Savage roughness. Now mind you...I bought my first savage rifle few months back. High Country 110 model 300WM. That thing came from the factory dirty as all get out. On top of that the patches came out dripping blue. Makes me wonder just how many rounds they test fire! Anyway, since the gun has been in my possession, with 175 or so rounds through it, it doesn't bleed blue anymore.

The chamber, oh boy. Concentric rings throughout and gives my brass rings too. Had to dremel a couple cases to confirm the lower case head rings weren't case head separation. If the **** thing wasn't so cool looking and shooting so good I'd sell it off. Probably won't be buying another Savage. Had magazine problems on top. Remedied by spreading the magazine feed lips out with a pair of needle nose...
I completely love this gun so far but my Bore was pretty gunked up to when I first got it. It did not have any blue fouling but it was like black with grease. I did notice this action is not as slick and smooth as the ones I was getting 10 years ago.

I know when they plus p a throat or do the bore Ryder and then polish they lose velocity until you make up for it with the powder. I'm kind of wondering if I just wore it in a little and now it looser. Kind of weird I've never seen that much of a velocity drop before so fast on anything.

I completely love this gun so far but my Bore was pretty gunked up to when I first got it. It did not have any blue fouling but it was like black with grease. I did notice this action is not as slick and smooth as the ones I was getting 10 years ago.

I know when they plus p a throat or do the bore Ryder and then polish they lose velocity until you make up for it with the powder. I'm kind of wondering if I just wore it in a little and now it looser. Kind of weird I've never seen that much of a velocity drop before so fast on anything.

Could have been slightly changing light conditions with chronograph?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.