new barrel question

bjohnson_7

I have a M700 in .300 RUM. It has a KP barrel on it but I'm going to a larger barrel for long range work. I'm thinking of getting a Krieger with 5R rifling in the MTU contour. Are there any advantages to the 5R rifling? Is the contour heavy enough for long range work?

bjohnson_7, This is right from the Krieger website:

Q: What are the advantages of 5-R style rifling?

A: This is a tough one. There have been many reports and opinions on an "improvement" by using 5-R style rifling vs. conventional rifling. Many of these reports are of increased bullet speed, better gas seal on the bullet, less copper fouling/easier cleaning, etc. These are issues that are not prevelant with our traditional rifling style, so we really expect no improvement with our 5-R barrels. Our 5-R barrels are made with the same bore and groove dimensional tolerances and uniformity as our conventional record setting rifled barrels, so there certainly should not be a disadvantage. We offer the true Obermeyer style 5-R rifling in select calibers for shooters that feel there is an advantage to this style of rifling, you can be the judge.

Yeah I read it on the website but I wanted to some opinions from actual users of the barrel not just the company.

Yeah I read it on the website but I wanted to some opinions from actual users of the barrel not just the company.

My gunsmith ordered a 5r barrel from kreiger for a 300WSM last year just after they announced making 5r barrels and it came in end of Apr along with appr 10 more. I don't expect rifle to be finsihed June/July as I told no rush.

I think most shooter like to have afew months shooting before offering an opinion took me that long when I got a Broughton 5c was alitttle easier with the Bartlein 5r.

coyotezapper is right alittle faster easier to clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.