New Barrel Question

scott63

Living in Northern California my entire life, the
I've replaced the barrel on my 6.5CM Savage LRH with a criterion. I've done the initial break-in cleaning once every shot for ten shots, then 4 3 shot strings cleaning after each 3 shot string. Not sure if this is necessary but I did it to be safe. I'm ready to start shooting but I'm wondering about how many rounds until the barrel "settles in"?

This is all new to me, in the past I'd just go out and shoot and not worry about all the little stuff, but I'm trying to prep for 6-800 yard shooting which is new to me.
Thanks,
Scott

As far as accuracy I think it depends on barrel but just shoot it and don't let it get too hot.

My experience has been that If it is a good barrel and I do a proper break-in the velocity will settle in and so will the accuracy between 15 and 25 rounds.

After break-in I usually start load development and I use good components because with poor/bad components you will never know
when you have a good load and could even miss a great one.

After the recent test I did on break-in (I posted the results on Lens post on Break in) I no longer use sub standard components for break in.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/new-barrel-break-in-and-cleaning-methods.160450/

J E CUSTOM

One thing that really helps me with my guns, and something I have done for over 30 years, after the last round of the day is fired, and the barrel is still warm, run a couple of wet patches down the bore with a 50/50 mix of Shooters Choice and Kroil and keep the bore wet. Then every 2 to 3 days at the most, run a couple of wet patches of the "mix" down the bore, and do this until you get ready to shoot again, then dry the bore good before shooting.

By keeping the bore "wet", it is constantly removing copper and carbon fouling from the bore. It also makes the first cold shot from a clean bore go where it is suppose to!

Most of my custom barrels are stainless, and they are sitting with the bores wet, until it is time to go shoot. All are sitting bi-pods with a rear bag under the butt stock, to keep the barrel almost horizontal, with the muzzle slightly down to keep anything from running back into the action.

Always clean from the chamber end, and always use a bore guide!

Use only nylon brushes for scrubbing the bore and not the copper or bronze brushes.

I won't take a new barrel to a match without 200 rounds on it. I've had barrels gain speed all the way to 250 rounds. Doesn't mean you can't do some load development and get it dialed in. In my experience they shoot the same stuff as they speed up, just have to adjust optics to match POI shifts due to velocity increases.

Doing load development before a barrel is truly broke in can be maddening! I have had loads that shot very well in the first 100-200 rounds and as the barrel breaks in those loads start to open up and I find a new load that the broken in barrel prefers. I have seen barrels not lose their accuracy but rather change their requirements for accuracy as round counts go up.

Doing load development before a barrel is truly broke in can be maddening! I have had loads that shot very well in the first 100-200 rounds and as the barrel breaks in those loads start to open up and I find a new load that the broken in barrel prefers. I have seen barrels not lose their accuracy but rather change their requirements for accuracy as round counts go up.
Well that's not promising! LOL, hopefully I don't experience this!

So do most of you just shoot the cheapest ammo you can find for that first 100 rounds? Am I wasting time and components trying to complete any load development before then?
Thanks again,
Scott
I certainly would not try and work up a load until you see it settling in for both velocity and accuracy as you'll just be all over the place and probably get real frustrated.

Generally I either shoot decent factory ammo or whatever else I have around.

In my experience with a quality barrel the accuracy should tighten up a great deal in the first 40-75 rounds and the velocity peaking around 100.

I certainly would not try and work up a load until you see it settling in for both velocity and accuracy as you'll just be all over the place and probably get real frustrated.

Generally I either shoot decent factory ammo or whatever else I have around.

In my experience with a quality barrel the accuracy should tighten up a great deal in the first 40-75 rounds and the velocity peaking around 100.

Thanks for the input, I'll probably use the first 60-80 rounds to try a couple different brakes I have and see how it is after that. I'm hoping to get a Labradar for my birthday as my chronograph is definitely on the cheap end of things...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts