New barrel maker with new technology

Agreed

The only reason I was thinking a final lapping may be neccessary is that nitriding has, traditionally been known to ever so slightly roughen the surface finish of the substrate.

Bear in mind that ever so slightly in this case means fractions of a microm to perhapse a couple of microns rougher.

Considering the lapping abrasives used for hand lapping the bore of even the finest rifle barrels are probably significantly rougher than this, I'm not so sure it'll make any difference, but I would maybe run some flitz, jb, or simichrome down the bore on a tight fitting patch.

Do not worry about damage to such a bore from these semi abrasive cleaning / polishing agents. You'd really have to try pretty darned hard to do abrasive damage to a nitrided surface with abrasives this fine.

As for the chamber, I would vehemently reccomend AGAINST nitriding the chamber. Luckily enough, the bore can still be nitrided after the chamber is cut, as masking off this area is not any big deal, however, nitriding has the added benefit of decreasing the coeeficient of sliding friction of the steel against other metals.

While this lower coefficient of sliding friction will mean lower pressure from the same loading (thus lower velocity from the same podew charge) it will also mean more powder can be loaded to make up for this loss of velocity while maintaining safe pressure levels, and even a gain in the untimate velocity potential of the cartridge (assuming current load density is below 100%).

However, this decrease in sliding friction will work against you in the chamber area, resulting in much greater stress on the bolt face, and possibly premature failure of critical components, creating an unsafe operating condition. Thus the chamber should not be nitrided. The throat would be ok though.

Nitriding a barrel that isn't properly broken in could be a pain though. When the chamber is cut, tiny ridges at the head of the throat left by the reamer is the most common explanation I see for break in. If those tooling marks are nitrided, breaking in the barrel may take a hundred or more rounds!

I see two possible soloutions to that problem:

1 - I have heard of some people who are chambering with wire EDM. This would eliminate the problem entirely.

2 - in my "why not" thread, I proposed an idea that could solve this problem as well. Chamber after gun drilling, before the rifling is cut. Then, machine a "chamber plug" that exactly fits the chamber. With an oversized "cap" on this chamber plug, it could be threaded onto the breech of the barrel. Gun drill this plug to fit as closely and seamlessly as tolerances will allow. Then, the rifling is cut into the bore, and continued into the chamber plug. This way, when you hand lap the bore, you can run the lap down into the chamber plug, allowing you to lap the throat right along woth the rest of the bore, and the "funneling" or bell shaped widening at the point where the lap is reversed is in the chamber plug, and not in the bore itself. This creates a perfectly lapped bore, with no cross directional tooling marks at the throat from the chambering, meaning no break in for the barrel!

AW barrels of past had nitrided chambers after cut. No problems..I would find nitriding after chamber cut necessary in your account..

You are thinking too far outside the box, outside your experience quotient. Lapping a barrel after nitriding would be like negating the process. Cutting the chamber after nitriding would be much the same.

JR

JR

True enough... I just re-read the specs on case thickness for plasma nitriding stainless. Maximum reasonable case thickness is .008 inches. While sufficient to drastically protect the bore, not enough to lap and have much left.

Ah, well, perhapse just a slightly finer pre nitriding finish to counteract the very slight roughening.

Lapping, in it's true form, will remove any left nitriding potential. If you lap after the nitriding process, you will remove the nitriding process, no matter how hard you think it is.

JR

[ QUOTE ]

2 - in my "why not" thread, I proposed an idea that could solve this problem as well. Chamber after gun drilling, before the rifling is cut. Then, machine a "chamber plug" that exactly fits the chamber. With an oversized "cap" on this chamber plug, it could be threaded onto the breech of the barrel. Gun drill this plug to fit as closely and seamlessly as tolerances will allow. Then, the rifling is cut into the bore, and continued into the chamber plug. This way, when you hand lap the bore, you can run the lap down into the chamber plug, allowing you to lap the throat right along woth the rest of the bore, and the "funneling" or bell shaped widening at the point where the lap is reversed is in the chamber plug, and not in the bore itself. This creates a perfectly lapped bore, with no cross directional tooling marks at the throat from the chambering, meaning no break in for the barrel!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have rifled barrels which were 'rough' chambered not after gun drilling, mind, but after they have been finish bore reamed. Process of rifling is generally drill, ream, rifle. This had to be done, because the machine could only handle 'x' length of rifled barrel, and the rough chamber allowed me the ability to index the cutting tool outside of the bore.

Lapping a barrel is not a light application, but heavy duty. There is a lot of work done to the barrel in the lapping procedure. Depending on the uniformity and finish of the bore from end to end, lapping can take hundreds upon hundreds, and even more hundreds, of strokes.. Even if you inserted a chamber plug into the barrel, the taper of the leade would be affected greatly, or it wouldn't work at all. It is the tool marks on the leade 'angle' which is wanting to be smoothed out, and you wont do that with the typical barrel lap, precisely. And if the lead angle is not protected, in not too many swipes your throat would be wiped out by the typical barrel lapping procedure.

I hate to say it, BLASPHEMY on my part, but in that particular case and citing available technology, firelapping with impregnated lead bullets would be the better choice, as the parallel of the bullet would slide across the leade surface more evenly and into the rifling. You would get more consistent contact where needed in the throat region.

Either that or come up with a procedure to push lap a same caliber size lead projectile thru the chamber. coat them in gunk, and push them thru one at a time. cut or have a mold made to form grooves perpendicular to the bore in the parallel section to hold the lapping compound, use a lot of oil, and set the mold up so you can cast it to the end of your dewey rod. The procedure would be much like 'slugging' a barrel.

JR

JR

Actually might be a better idea to 'pull lap' instead of pushing...The driving motion in a push to get the lap started would probably deform the lead worse than if pulling thru.

JR

Interesting...

I did leave out the reaming of the hole... My bad.

I have read of at least one BR shooter who polishes the throat with diamond lapidary compund aver x number of rounds... Instead of trying to do this along with the normal lapping,, could a good, consistant, even finish be achived in this way?

How about wire EDM chambering. If I understand it correctly (and I'm not at all sure I do) this would help eliminate a great deal of exactly the problem I am trying to avoid in the throat. Any thoughts?

Dzaw,

Wire EDM does not go around corners, the wire is pulled through the material between two points. The wire is constantly moving through the part and discarded at the end, chopped up in little pieces. Its kinda like a bandsaw.
Parts are in a large tank of water.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting...

I did leave out the reaming of the hole... My bad.

I have read of at least one BR shooter who polishes the throat with diamond lapidary compund aver x number of rounds... Instead of trying to do this along with the normal lapping,, could a good, consistant, even finish be achived in this way?

How about wire EDM chambering. If I understand it correctly (and I'm not at all sure I do) this would help eliminate a great deal of exactly the problem I am trying to avoid in the throat. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

And how is the lapidary compound applied again?

Wire EDM doesn't actually produce that good of a chamber, or near as quick, yet..wire, for surface finish is quite rough regarding chambers...A reamed cut hole is smoother than EDM...

JR

Wire EDM is like a mirror finish (measured in microns), sinker EDM is the rough finish (that like sandblasting). Two different processes. I have some action blanks that were made with both types, the wire EDM looks like it was lapped with diamond compound, but not. The Sinker blank is very rough, takes too much work to clean up the mess. Another problem with Sinker EDM is you have to use a carbon electrode, they have to be machined first to lest say the chamber size. Carbon electrodes will deteriorate during use, Wire EDM does not change as new wire is constantly going through the part. Surgeon Actions are Wire EDM cut. Its a very expensive process! I have a sinker EDM, still in storage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It would take a very large Sinker machine to hold a rifle barrel for machining, Sinker machines use oil for the conductive and coolant. Both machines need the part submerged in the coolant. Like i said before, Wire will only cut in a paralell line.

Humor me for a moment. How does the EDM process work? I can't visualize using a wire type electrode to cut and yet still provide a mirror finish.

Sorry I'm not a machinist and don't understand the process or technology.

Thanks guys, this has been great and most informative.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.