New barrel for Weatherby Accumark

Avery r

Hello I am looking to get a new barrel for my 338 378 Accumark I am thinking a Lilja in either 1 in 9 or 1 in 7 twist and at least 30 inches for shooting the 325 grain Rocky Mountain bullets aluminum tipped

Attachments

• 20180313_185607.jpg
    20180313_185607.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 193
I am wanting opinions on what barrel length and twist rate I am planning to have this gun suppressed with the elite iron sierra sd

I am wanting opinions on what barrel length and twist rate I am planning to have this gun suppressed with the elite iron sierra sd

Excellent choice on barrel and suppressor. I have 30" Lilja 3G 1:8" on my .270 AI and 27" 3G 1:9" on my .30 LARA and are very pleased with them. I have the Eliteiron Bravo and they are built like a tank and works extremely well.

IIWY, I'd talk directly to Steve Davis of Hammer Bullets and then follow it up with Dan or Carson Lilja.

Good luck!

I took a 338-378 Weatherby Accumark and went down this road, too. I swapped the trigger for an adjustable Timney and rebarreled with a Dan Lilja barrel. I did the 1:10 twist, 30", and planned upon shooting 300 grain bullets. I cannot say that I'd do a tighter twist based upon the recommendations of Mr. Lilja and the ability to provide good stabilization of this bullet weight. There are multiple options for high-BC, affordable bullets at this twist rate. As Feenix says you can always just talk to the folks at Lilja, Hammer bullets and Cutting Edge Bullets and get their latest opinion on your build ideas/bullet choices--maybe you do want to go tighter... Mr. Lilja recommended that I send my rifle to Matt Cockrell at: www.mcgunsmithing.com for my chambering. He did a great job, integrated stock repainting and brake installation, and made certain that everything went together smoothly for my build. I went the build route of a PTG-spec .338 Edge reamer (which MC Customs has in stock) and put a threaded brake on it. I'd be unsurprised to see Mr. Cockrell put a silencer on your barrel and get you squared away.
I am quite happy to get 2850fps with 300g SMK/OTM bullets and >3000fps with the 266g Hammer bullet. Good luck with your build and let us see how it turned out.

Cheers!

Iceking02

PS: First two shots out of the barrel went into same hole at 100yds and many days it will help me do the same with 3-5 bullets...I am now the weakest link in the shooting system and trying to get better each year.

After thinking about it would the 338 378s capabilities make a 325 grain worth it or would it be better to have it rechambered to 338 kubla khan which ive seen talked about on this forum would anyone know velocity increase my origional budget for my new rifle was 2000 wimchester EW and Nikon scope I got Weatherby and Nightforce I didn't go over budget I just made my budget 10000 so it wouldnt interfere im also thinking of putting a timney 1.5 lb trigger because I bought a lyman trigger pull tester and the trigger averaged 3 pounds 2.1 oz after going from my last hunting rifle 308 with .5 pound trigger 3 pounds felt like pulling a train

Dunno why you gotta get tooooo crazy about your cartridge selection. Here's what the Edge was able to do with the 266gr Hammer bullets yesterday at 300yds. I tried to get my wife to understand how cool this is and she said, "That's really nice, honey" and then went back to knitting...the first shot was 2" right and I'm still getting used to my scope adjustments so that's why the second shot is at the right edge. I dialed in the correction and put the last three shots on top of one another. Couldn't believe it myself as I've never done it before yesterday at that distance!
IMG_3912.jpg

Don't get a new trigger. Weatherby has a good one already.(my opinion) Replace the spring with one from Ernie the Gunsmith add a 'lil polish job and you're all set. Great trigger and I can easily do it myself. Not sure of your desires or interest in final outcome of the project, but the capabilities of a 338-378 will likely outshine yours. If reballeliing is on your short list, look at a standard 338 lapua. Your bolt face will already work. If that's not exotic enough, there's a few improved versions out there. Better brass, performance that will leave very few experienced shooters wanting. Or just stick with your rifle until you burn up that barrel and and your desire to experience recoil in a totally new way. Not nearly as sexy, but if it were me, I'd go the other way and run a 300 Norma ( or improved or 338) on Lapua brass with a 9 twist bbl at 26" ( plus the can). That way, you can still load the mag box. Lots of other reasons too, but my thumb is getting tired!!!

After thinking about it would the 338 378s capabilities make a 325 grain worth it or would it be better to have it rechambered to 338 kubla khan which ive seen talked about on this forum would anyone know velocity increase my origional budget for my new rifle was 2000 wimchester EW and Nikon scope I got Weatherby and Nightforce I didn't go over budget I just made my budget 10000 so it wouldnt interfere im also thinking of putting a timney 1.5 lb trigger because I bought a lyman trigger pull tester and the trigger averaged 3 pounds 2.1 oz after going from my last hunting rifle 308 with .5 pound trigger 3 pounds felt like pulling a train
I have a Weatherby gunsmith he's taken both of my weatherbys down to 20 oz crisp smooth I love it. On one the spring what's replaced four times before he got it to 20 oz Weatherby triggers work

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts