New barrel for LRH opinions

scott63

Living in Northern California my entire life, the
I have a Savage LRH 6.5CM that I've had for about 3 years, I've never been happy with the accuracy so I've decided to swap the barrel. I've seen some factory barrels that shoot great which causes my dilema, because I've seen some take off varmint weight barrels that are priced very reasonably. I'd have to open up the barrel channel, but thats no big deal.

I'd be open to most any brand of pre-fit but I'm only seeing McGowen in stock anywhere, and I have no idea if this would really be an upgrade over factory or not. Also, when looking at Savage pre-fits, no maker has a contour called "LRH" so I don't know if the factory barrel would be called a light varmint, #3, #4 etc. I'd be glad to hear some opinions!
Thanks,
Scott

It looks like the Criterion light Varmint cut to 24" will be a close match for the LRH contour. If my factory barrel which is very accurate ever gives up the ghost, it's what I planned as a replacement.

A Bartlein stainless barrel W/5R rifling would be my first choice.
And you have many options such as twist rate, 5R rifling, barrel material, length and barrel contour.

Thank you for the replies. After talking to Northland, I ordered a Criterion light varmint contour. It was a hard choice for me since the varmint contour with threaded muzzle from McGowen was less. But I just don't want to deal with more disappointment after what I've been through with this rifle. I'll probably have someone local thread the barrel for a MB before install in case I decide I want one later. I shot my LRH with the MB on and off as part of trying to get it to shoot and wasn't super impressed with the factory model. Pretty sure if I get one it will be the LB2 by American Precision Arms.

I ran a beast 3port self timing brake on my savage 6.5. I thought it was easier to stay on target with that brake over the little bastard. My rifle was about 1.5#s lighter than the other rifle.

I got the chance to do some shooting today with the criterion barrel, after doing the break- in. I'm very happy with the results so far, surprisingly H4350 is not doing so hot with the loads I've tried so far, after running a velocity ladder with it and RL-16. The RL-16 on the other hand is shooting amazing, I had one 3 shot group at .401 and another at .232, this is more along the lines of what my expectations were. Overall, very happy with the criterion purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.