New Ballistics Program From Berger Bullets

Eric Stecker

We are proud to announce that an easy to use ballistics program is available on our website. Please click on the link below to use or download this program.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Ballistics Program/index.html

A special thank you to Bryan Litz for his efforts in producing this program. This is one more example of our efforts to enhance the shooting experience. More to come.

Regards,
Eric

Re: New Ballistics Program

Eric,
Thank you for all the hard work you guys do for the shooting sport. The program looks geat. Keep up the good work.

I am glad to see that Berger is making a Ballistic Program now. Thank you.:)
I didn't see any spot to input altitude though? I also didn't see the BC change when I changed caliber and weight?

I've been using Berger Bullets since the early 90's and am very happy with them. However, I've got a few questions about the G7 BC's.

I see that they're lower numbers than the G1.

If we put in the lower number into our other Ballistic Software (the newest Sierra or NF programs as an example) I am assuming that the outcome will be false because the programs were not designed to calculate the G7? Am I correct in that assumption?

Don't the Ballistic Programs have to be "set up" for G7 before it can effectively be used?

Anybody have any additional info or links to more info on this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am glad to see that Berger is making a Ballistic Program now. Thank you.:)
I didn't see any spot to input altitude though?

The effects of altitude are captured in the Air Pressure input. If you hold the mouse pointer over the word 'Pressure' on the program, a table will pop-up that tabulates the air pressure at altitude. You can pick the pressure that corresponds with your altitude. This was done intentionally because altitude and pressure effects are commonly misunderstood and miss-applied in ballistics programs. This is the best way I could think of to handle it.

I also didn't see the BC change when I changed caliber and weight?

The caliber, weight, and BC are all independent inputs. You have to input all three. The program shows you the form factor of the bullet which results from the above 3 properties. A G7 form factor less than .98 is pretty good (low drag profile), greater than 1.1 is pretty bad.

I've been using Berger Bullets since the early 90's and am very happy with them. However, I've got a few questions about the G7 BC's.

I see that they're lower numbers than the G1.

If we put in the lower number into our other Ballistic Software (the newest Sierra or NF programs as an example) I am assuming that the outcome will be false because the programs were not designed to calculate the G7? Am I correct in that assumption?

Don't the Ballistic Programs have to be "set up" for G7 before it can effectively be used?

Your questions about G7 BC are all answered in this article here on LRH:
Berger Bullets' Move To The G7 Standard BC

You are correct in the assumption that the program has to be capable of using the G7 BC. Using a G7 BC in a program that's not set up for it will cause your computer to melt down:)

-Bryan

I was playing with the Berget bullet program and matching it up with Sierra Infinity 6 program wiich also includes Berger bullets in it and seeing how they matched up. Evidently Sierra is prouder of the Berger bullet than Berger is. With a starting speed of 3450 with the .257 115 VLD bullet the Sierra program showed the Berger bullet going almost 200 FPS faster at 1000 yds than the Berger program did. I don't know which one is correct but that will defiantly cause a miss at that range depending on which one is correct. I'm going to have to go back and do some more digging to see if there was something I missed.

Note: I went back and checked again and think I found it. I'm using 4000 for elevation and there is not an elevation input area on the Berger program that I can find. It also does not show what elevation its set at. Maybe Bryan can clear that up.

Last edited:
Bill,

Please see my previous post. You have to use the air pressure input to capture the effect of altitude. Hover the mouse pointer over the word 'Pressure' and you'll see a table of air pressure values to use at different altitudes.

-Bryan

Can this program work on my HP PDA in the field?

Does it work past 2000 yards? Exbal will not on the PDA version.

It doesn't work on mobile devices.

But it does go out to 25 seconds time of flight. Pretty sure that gets you to 2000 yards:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.