New backpack for teen grandson

Litehiker

I just bought a backpack for my soon to be 15 year old grandson. It is a DEUTER Air Contact 50+10 with a vertically adjustable shoulder harness.

I needed to spend money at REI on my new REI credit card to qualify for a $100. gift card. The only other adjustable;e pack they had was an REI Tarn 65 which was heavier though $35. less money. I opted for the lower weight DEUTER.

So when his younger brother, who now has an REI Tarn 40, grows he can use big brother's DEUTER and I'll get Kaden a new UL pack for 2+ pounds. Something like my Osprey EXOS 58, size Large.

Eric B.

Good choice! I hope he gets some good use out of it. I have had a Deuter Futura Vario 50+10 for the last 8 or 9 years. Dragged it all across the Americas on every kind of transportation imaginable. Carried it on my back a bit too, from multi-day beach camping to light mountaineering. Decent pack, I would buy it again.

The suspension back + built in rain cover are amazing. My first Deuter was a Futura 22, purchased back in '07 - same style 'air carry' back - it is the best cycling pack I have ever owned (I've cycled a lot - easily over 100,000km). I crashed with it multiple times, gravel, pavement, you name it. I was very impressed by its durability - it kept on going until a dog got ahold of it one time...

Currently I'm looking for something 30-40L to use as a 'day pack', main function will be getting groceries. MUST have suspension, can't be 'top load' only... Thinking about the Osprey Stratos 34 - I really love the suspension backs. Kinda curious about the new LL Bean Trekker Air Carry, but it seems a little small...

Look forward to to hearing what others are using/liking.

Last edited:
Deuter is a great choice. I've owned two Deuter packs including an Aircontact Lite, and both have been comfortable and sturdy. They are perfect for someone who might get taller. The cross-stay suspension works well. Deuter warranty service is also excellent, in my experience (I lost the top lid to a pack and they sent me a replacement no questions asked).

Hand Skills, there are lots of good choices in the 30-40 liter range, including the Stratos. The Mountainsmith Mayhem is a decent choice as well, especially around town, The older model, which has a nice suspension and hipbelt, can be had for cheap on Sierra Trading Post. The newer model looks kinda weird and I haven't seen one in person. Both models have easy access to the main compartment.

I just bought a backpack for my soon to be 15 year old grandson. It is a DEUTER Air Contact 50+10 with a vertically adjustable shoulder harness.

I needed to spend money at REI on my new REI credit card to qualify for a $100. gift card. The only other adjustable;e pack they had was an REI Tarn 65 which was heavier though $35. less money. I opted for the lower weight DEUTER.

So when his younger brother, who now has an REI Tarn 40, grows he can use big brother's DEUTER and I'll get Kaden a new UL pack for 2+ pounds. Something like my Osprey EXOS 58, size Large.

Eric B.

Can you provide some size details of your 15 YO grandson? I am starting to look for my son who is 13

MWH,
My oldest grandson is about 5' 8" and growing like a weed. he's build sort of thin but is all muscle thanks to a daily regimen of Ti Kwan-Do and soccer. The hip belt fits him well with plenty of room to grow. The shoulder harness is down on the 3rd position from the top and there are three more positions below that.

I have the larger 65+10 Deuter for winter ski camping and both packs are built the same with very high quality. Made in Vietnam, like all Osprey packs and several backpacking companies.
In fact Osprey moved their entire headquarters to Vietnam and began a "fair wage" campaign by raising their worker's wages and giving them collective bargaining status. Then Osprey formed a "Fair Labor" alliance that Deuter and others joined. This is a good thing for Vietnam and the foreign companies using Vietnamese labor. Interestingly for a foe we fought tooth and nail the Vietnamese see us as "good guys" in both trade and defense because Obama began selling them weapons.Long story but the Vietnamese actually defeated China when invaided by China a few years after the end of the Vietnam war.

Eric B.

Good choice! My wife recently gave me a new bag as a present. It looks as functional as this one on Amazon. It was really sweet as she did it by herself. I am accustomed to buying everything in a shop and not to make a lot of effort, but we recently were thinking about buying sewing machine to make some stuff by ourselves. It worked out to be really great. It is also very cool to have something handmade and unique. And a can recommend some stuff for those who also want to start sewing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.