new at this

RCavett

How yall doin? I'm kinda new at long range shooting and I have a Remington 700 stainless CDL 257 Weatherby mag. Done a little research and I think I have a good one. My question is out to how far is the round good for. I can only shoot out to about 700 yards and so far I hit what I aim at. I know it's a first grader question but.....

While I believe the round shoots well (considering 115 grain Berger at about 3400 fps) out to 800 yards as a hunting rifle, I doubt that it carries enough energy to be useful for anything larger than deer and I'd hold the range for deer at around 500 yards or less. It's not, IMO, suitable for larger game like Elk unless your working with ranges less than 200 yards. Even then IMO it's too small a cartridge to use for an animal of that size.
Keep in mind that my bias as a hunter is to limit long range "hunting" to calibers of 7mm (.284) or greater. That view is not universally popular but i get nauseous when i read or hear about hunters using smaller calibers at very long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.